Common or Standard PHP/MySQL procedures

echo_loser

I recently came across this function: mysql_real_escape_string. I did more research on it and I found out that this is the STANDARD procedure to prevent against SQL injection attacks. The book I am following basically told me to:

mysql_real_escape_string ($variable_name);

To every variable BEFORE I use it in an SQL query that involves variables enclosed in quotes (strings).

I didn’t even know about SQL injection attacks before this and I was wondering--since the book I am following is for beginners--is there a place or a sticky on this site (or any resource is appreciated) that has the most common security procedures you should do for PHP and MySQL? I don’t want to look like the complete noob that I am when I go looking for a job.

I know there are security issues that also relate to servers and server settings, but I’m not worried about that as I am just trying to build a portfolio of PHP and MySQL stuff so I can find a job.

Great! Thanks for that.

The OWASP was overwhelming in sheer volume so I needed something that would show me the most common security issues related to PHP and MySQL only. Thanks! I will check out the PHP security resource you provided. I knew there had to be something on this website but after looking for 20 min I gave up and decided to make a post.  :-[

AND... if anyone else has any PHP and MySQL articles regarding commonly dealt with security issues that they can provide, I would greatly appreciate it and review EVERYTHING.

There is a big thread on devshed with various security notes and things to watch out for: Must read security notes  Skimming through the  posts there should provide at least some basic knowledge of what to a void and why, or at least introduce you to some terms to google for more information.

Note that some of the early posts are fairly old and some items are a bit out dated.  For example, the first post talkes about the magic_quotes_gpc which is not deprecated and typically disabled meaning you have to escape everything yourself (which is better).  Take the early stuff with a grain of salt or maybe do a little research.  Maybe read the thread backwards if you want to see the newer stuff first.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.