� What's this?

jowdilla

It's a character set issue. You should use UTF-8 to ensure all (or at least most) characters are rendered correctly. It could either be in the file itself - most editors have an option to convert to UTF-8 - or the browser rendering it. Add the following META tag and see if it fixes the issue:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

I'm using Dreamweaver CS5 right now.

My main code is here:

<?php

mysql_connect("localhost", "root", "") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_select_db("logincarlacaessa") or die(mysql_error());

?>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

<title>Tarot Online - Carla Caessa</title>

<link href="estilobase.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

</head>

<body>

<table width="1024" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" align="center">
<tr>
	<td colspan="3" height="97px" background="images/tarotcctemplate_CORTADO_LAYOUT_01.png"> </td>
</tr>
<tr>
    	<td width="163" rowspan="3" background="images/tarotcctemplate_CORTADO_LAYOUT_02.png"> </td>
    	<td valign="top" width="487" height="26"> <?PHP require_once "menu_principal.php" ?></td> 
    	<td width="374" rowspan="3" background="images/tarotcctemplate_CORTADO_LAYOUT_04.png"> </td> <!--COLUNA LATERAL DIREITA-->
</tr>
<tr><!--ROW ABAIXO DO MENU PRINCIPAL - ESPAÇO DEDICADO AO LOGIN-->
    </tr>
    <tr>
	<td height="339" background="images/tarotcctemplate_CORTADO_LAYOUT_05.png" valign="top">
        	<table width="487" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
		</table>
		<table width="487" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
  				<tr>
    				<td width="20"> </td>
    				<td width="447"><?PHP require_once "registo\index.php" ?></td>
    				<td width="20"> </td>
  				</tr>
		</table>
         </td>
</tr>
<tr>
    	<td background="images/tarotcctemplate_CORTADO_LAYOUT_06.png">março</td>
    	<td height="515" background="images/tarotcctemplate_CORTADO_LAYOUT_06-07.png"> </td>
    	<td background="images/tarotcctemplate_CORTADO_LAYOUT_08.png"> </td>
</tr>
</table>
<table width="100%"  border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" bgcolor="#000000">
<tr>
	<td height="100"> </td>
</tr>
</table>

</body>
</html>

As the others have said, using the html entity will fix it in most cases and is probably the best way.

I have had this issue a few times when copying text from word (even with the charset set as utf 8). I notice it happens on commas and apostrophes and sometimes the simplest fix is to delete the character and re-write it in your editor, which fixes the comma and apostrophe issue.

Hi,

I'm making my website, everything is going well, but now I found something weird... some characters cant display and appear like this: �

I let an image here, as we know, image is worth a thousand words, so here it goes.

Many thanks to all, after read all of your comments I did start to check every pixel in the code... I found that some pages were SET to Ocidental Europe instead of my default UTF-8.

With that done my problems were gone. I even added

header("Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8",true);

in some pages to remove the bugs in chrome and IE.

Problem solved!

PEACE brothers.  :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.