Must be a more effecient way

Monkuar

if ($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] == '/pmi.php' OR $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] == '/pmsent.php'){
			$location = 'Using Messenger';
			}else{
			$location  = '';
			}

I wanted to use

if ($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] == '/pmi.php' OR '/pmsent.php'){
			}else{
			$location  = '';
			}

But that doesn't work, I need to check pmi.php, pmsent.php and pms.php, but I don't want to use if $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] == BLA OR $_SERVER['php_selft'] again.. blah

thanks

I think there is no other way. May be you could use shorter variable name instead of  $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] like

$ps = $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];

$ps = $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];
if ($ps == '/pmi.php' || $ps == '/pmsent.php'||...)

What's the difference between || and OR ?

Their precedence values.  In your particular  usage they both have the same end result.

If you have a list of values to check against a variable using an OR condition, you can use in_array as a cleaner method of doing it.  I find it doesn't really matter much until your at 3 or more values though.

$values = array('/pmi.php', '/pmsent.php');
if (in_array($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], $values)){ 
}

Their precedence values.  In your particular  usage they both have the same end result.

If you have a list of values to check against a variable using an OR condition, you can use in_array as a cleaner method of doing it.  I find it doesn't really matter much until your at 3 or more values though.

}

Lol! At 3 more values? :(

Speed wise, what do you suggest? the old fashion

if ($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] == '/pmi.php' OR $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] == '/pmsent.php'){
			}else{
			$location  = '';
			}

or

}

Speed wise is there any noticeable difference? This will be run with each refresh for each user on my forum.

I doubt one over the other would make any noticeable difference in speed.  It's mainly a readability thing.  You can certainly use in_array for just two values if you want.  the three or more is just kind of my personal rule as I find that is when it makes the most difference readability wise (exact number varies some on the length of the values).

I doubt one over the other would make any noticeable difference in speed.  It's mainly a readability thing.  You can certainly use in_array for just two values if you want.  the three or more is just kind of my personal rule as I find that is when it makes the most difference readability wise (exact number varies some on the length of the values).

Topic Solved

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.