Free directions API/service

Andy-H

Hi, I am writing some fleet tracking software at work and I want to add a feature that uses the google maps directions API but we are behind a login, we are purchasing a google maps licence but the directions API up's the cost by 100%, and we don't have enough customers to warrant that ATM. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a free directions API, or if I could get around the google licence, like make a PHP page that takes postcodes, makes a google API request and the outputs JSON, putting that in front of the login and then interfacing with that? Anyone know if this would be legit?

I'm sure this is the hangup in why they can't just use google's directions api w/o paying for it;

9.1 Free, Public Accessibility to Your Maps API Implementation.

9.1.1 General Rules.

(a) Free Access (No Fees). Your Maps API Implementation must be generally accessible to users without charge and must not require a fee-based subscription or other fee-based restricted access. This rule applies to Your Content and any other content in your Maps API Implementation, whether Your Content or the other content is in existence now or is added later.

(b) Public Access (No Firewall). Your Maps API implementation must not (i) operate only behind a firewall; or (ii) only on an internal network (except during the development and testing phase); or (iii) in a closed community (for example, through invitation-only access).

From what I made out of their page on the maps api for business, it seemed like it came with access to the directions api, not that you'd have to pay more for that.  I could be mistaken though.  I don't know of any alternatives though for you, sorry.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.