Installing an environment where i can test php scripts. is this a LAMP or WAMP?

Im looking to set up a LAMP or maybe a WAMP ?!?! on my PC to save by not having to upload my practice php scripts to my godaddy server.

I have dreamweaver on my PC which i currently use (mainly for the syntax highlighting) for editing.

Im running a windows based PC.  Is installing an environment where I can test php scripts a difficult thing to do, and how to I go about it ?

Im a bit worried abour screwing up the family computer if I do things wrong.

You want WAMP (W for Windows).  There is also XAMPP you could try.  I've personally never setup either of them so I can't help too much there.  From what I've heard they are both fairly simple to install.  Neither of them should cause any problems with your system.  You'll want to make sure you only have one of them installed though.  If for some reason one won't work then make sure to un-install it (maybe even with a reboot) before installing the other one.

Once you have one setup you should be able to test your scripts locally by going to http://localhost/ in your browser.

If you have a fairly low end machine, kicken's suggestion works well.  If you have a higher end machine, you might consider virtualization using either VMWare workstation or Oracle/Sun Virtualbox.  There are numerous howtos and tutorials you can find on installing a distro of your choice.  If you're hosted on a linux server, this has the added advantage of being a better simulation of your ultimate deployment environment, and also doesn't gum up your machine with a bunch of services -- the virtual server is exactly like your deployment target, and you can set it up just like your godaddy account, in terms of users/permissions etc.

Hello again!

Thankyou for the replies!

Ive gone for the WAMP - and ive downloaded and installed WampServer.

The server is turned and is showing as active.  I have a file called test.php and ive saved it in c:/wamp

Is this all I need to do to be able view my php files in a browser? 

Ive tried typing http://localhost/test.php into my browser and also c:/wamp/test.php  (test.php) being the file ive created.

Am i missing a trick here?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.