help please

spearchilduser

Hoi i have a php select box populated from a database , i also have  a textbox now i want to user to either enter details in the textbox or select something from the selecvt box and auto populate the texbox, i did try it but the php didnt seem to liek to work with the js ?

any help or if it is possible

yer ive tried a little bit of code myself and come up with

script type="text/javascript">

<select name="FavDestinations" onchange="document.theform.Customer_Destination.value=this.value">

<option></option>

<?php

$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM favourite_destinations WHERE User_ID =$userid");

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql)){

$uid = $row["User_ID"];

$username = $row["Name"];

echo '<option value="'.$uid.'">'.$username.'</option>' ;

}

?>

</select>

but if i end the script the drop box disapears as its a php dropbox so should  i change

document.theform

to

document.getElementById

?

Vubut even if i do this can it be done on a php dropbox ?

There should be no conflicts with the 'onsubmit' code.

Try your way and/or my way of referencing the text field. There is more than one way to select DOM members.

Yet another way of selecting the text field, but will only work if the input field is the next field, would be this code:

this.nextSibling.value = this.value;

Don't be afraid to try new things.

no i tired it but it doesnt work :s the code that i showed u only other thign i can think of is if i set it up as a function but would i then say somethign like onchange. ( fucntionname()). or is there soemthign wrong with the code i showed earlier ?

function i think would work :

{
x = document.getElementById("Customer_Destination");
y = document.getElementById("FavDestinations");

x.value = y.options[y.selectedIndex].text;
}

I thought you could get the value of selected options by just asking for the value, but I guess not. Your function should work, you can call the function by putting it in the quotes for the onchange.

My codes should work if you replace the 'this.value' to 'this.options[ this.selectedIndex ].value', or if you didn't set any values in the options, you can change the 'value' to 'innerHTML' or 'text'.

hi i now have

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript"> 

{
x = document.getElementById("Customer_Destination");
y = document.getElementById("FavDestinations");
x.value = y.options[y.selectedIndex].text;
}

as a function then

<select name="FavDestinations" document.theform.Customer_Destination.value='this.options[ this.selectedIndex ].value'>
<option></option>
<?php
$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM favourite_destinations WHERE User_ID =$userid"); 
	while($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql)){
		$uid = $row["User_ID"];
		$username = $row["Name"]; 
		echo '<option value="'.$uid.'">'.$username.'</option>' ;

}
?>

as the drop box witht he onchange() function running thsi isnt fillign out a textbox is there any errors that can be seen with the code im more of php than javascript so there may be :(

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.