Multiplying Different Tables

anonymousmofo

I am currently building a website which deals with sales of cars. I need to be able to work out the total revenue of the cars by calculating the total sales * price. However the problem i am having is the Price and total sales are in 2 different tables.

The First Table:

Cars Table:

Car Code, Make, Model, Price

The second Table:

Sales Table:

Car ID, Month, Year, Total Sales

(Car Code and Car ID are linked together with a relationship)

How can i get the price of one car and multiply it with the total sales figure to get the revenue?

Any help would be much Appreciated.

I have tried your code which you suggested however it is coming up with an error message:

Array ( [0] => Array ( [0] => IMSSP [sqlSTATE] => IMSSP [1] => -14=> -14 [2] => An invalid parameter was passed to sqlsrv_fetch_array. [message] => An invalid parameter was passed to sqlsrv_fetch_array. ) )

I have checked all of the column names and they match up fine with the ones i am using.

any thoughts?

Have just tried your SUM code and that you posted however still no joy. I am getting the same error as before, an invalid parameter was passed. Could this be because i am missing some single quotes off one of the column headings? I think it will be something simple

let's see the exact query as you are trying to run it

$describeQuery = "SELECT (Cars.Price * SUM(MonthlySales.TotalSales))  as revenue FROM Cars INNER JOIN MonthlySales ON(Cars.'CarCode' = MonthlySales.'ProductCode')GROUP BY Cars.'Car'";

$query = sqlsrv_query( $link, $describeQuery);	

echo '<table border = "2" bordercolor = "Black">';
echo '<tr><th bgcolor = "Black">Revenue</th><tr>';

while($row = sqlsrv_fetch_array($query, SQLSRV_FETCH_ASSOC)) 
{
echo '<tr>';
echo '<td>' . $row['revenue'] . '</td>'; 	

echo '</tr>';
} 
echo '</table>';	

if(sqlsrv_errors() !== null) 
{
print_r(sqlsrv_errors());
}

sqlsrv_close($link);

?>
</font>
</body>
</html>

I have taken the qoutes out of the code and it still gives me the same error message

$describeQuery = "SELECT (Cars.Price * SUM(MonthlySales.TotalSales))  as revenue FROM Car INNER JOIN MonthlySales ON(Cars.CarCode = MonthlySales.ProductCode)GROUP BY Cars.CarCode";

echo '<table border = "2" bordercolor = "Black">';
echo '<tr><th bgcolor = "Black">Revenue</th></tr>';

while($row = sqlsrv_fetch_array($query, SQLSRV_FETCH_ASSOC)) 
{
echo '<tr>';
                echo '<td>' . $row['revenue'] . '</td>'; 				
echo '</tr>';
} 
echo '</table>';	

if(sqlsrv_errors() !== null) 
{
print_r(sqlsrv_errors());
}

sqlsrv_close($link);

?>
</font>
</body>
</html>

debugging 101:

$describeQuery = "SELECT (Cars.Price * SUM(MonthlySales.TotalSales))  as revenue
                    FROM Car INNER JOIN MonthlySales ON(Cars.CarCode = MonthlySales.ProductCode)GROUP BY Cars.CarCode"; 

// TEMPORARILY ECHO YOUR RAW QUERY AND TAKE A CLOSE LOOK TO SEE IF IT IS SYNTACTICALLY  CORRECT (.. missing spaces, bad sentences, missing values, etc..etc)
echo "My Query IS : " . $describeQuery . "<br />";

// IF PREVIOUS ECHO LOOKS OK... EXECUTE THE QUERY

// AND CONTROL IF THE QUERY WAS EXECUTED WITHOUT ERRORS, OTHERWISE DISPLAY THE ERROR
if (!$query) {
   die("QUERY ERROR: " . sqlsrv_errors());
}
.... REST OF YOUR CODE

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.