PHP and MySql

Phenomena

Though this is my first time trying to create a whole new page with php, i do have a bit of experience through installing mods on my phpBB forums.

Ive managed to get it so that im connected to the same database my phpBB forums are installed on. Now what I'm trying to do i get it so that the text from each post in a specific forum is displayed on the page. I can't seem to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Select the data you want using a SELECT sql statement and [url=http://php.net/mysql_query]mysql_query[/url], then loop through the result using [url=http://php.net/mysql_fetch_assoc]mysql_fetch_assoc[/url] to grab each row.

This is a shameless plug....
Check out http://www.iobe.net/proj/
I have a program I'm working on and I have some "beta versions" available for download.  There are two choices application builder and script builder.  The appbuilder builds what I like to call and application and script builder builds individual scripts.  The only real difference is that application builder calls index.php passing its name to it and the script builder scripts call themeselves so they are stand alone.

The result is 1 php script per table in your database.  It really only fully works for tables with 1 primary key but you can go in and edit the files easily. They are pretty simple.  I'm working on having it work with multiple keys or no keys at all and I should have it done soon.

Sounds to me that script builder will work for your purposes....

At minimum, it will make a script that you can look at and see what is going on.

Feedback would also be kool. 

Regards,
John Sladek

ugh, ive managed to compile a test script but its not working properly, i dont get any php errors but It doesnt display the rank title

[code]$username="********";
$password="********";
$database="********";

mysql_connect(localhost,$username,$password);

@mysql_connect_db($database) or die ("Unable to connect to the database.");

$query="SELECT * FROM phpbb_ranks";
$result=mysql_query($query);

$num=mysql_numrows($result);
mysql_close();
$i=0;
while ($i < $num) {

$first=mysql_result($result,$i,"rank_title");

echo "rank_title";

$i++;
}[/code]

try this...

<?
$username="********";
$password="********";
$database="********";

mysql_connect(localhost,$username,$password);

@mysql_connect_db($database) or die ("Unable to connect to the database.");

$query="SELECT * FROM phpbb_ranks";
$result=mysql_query($query);
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
print("$row[rank_title]<br>");
}
mysql_close();

?>

I'm sure there are, I'm trying to get it to do what I want it to first.  I am thinking about security too, just back burnered it for now.  Did you actually try running the program against a database?  If so, besides the obvious security issues, what do you think?

Ok, Thanks rab for showing me the error in my ways.  I made a quick fix to validate someone sneaking in a link like that and I'll have to fix the other issues before allowing a live demo.  I think I was just a little over excited about the program I'm working on..... to me it's cool.....

....anyhow, Phenomena, did you ever get your program to work?

sorry for late reply, i did... well almost. Since i dont have enough knowledge of php to make my own, safe page. I decided to download a phpBB mod and change it around to work on my main page

http://modhalotrial.com/test.php

only problem is i need to read it from a certain forum, right now it just reads from every forum. There is something in the orginal phpBB mod to do this but you need to be able to create arrays.

[code]// exclude forums from fetching
// can be left blank to disable it, can contain a single forum id or an array
// with multiple id's
//

$CFG['posts_exclude_forums'] = '';[/code]

i dont know how to turn that into an array lol

edit: never mind i got it :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.