How should I go about building this?

Far Cry

I have an items table that holds basic info such as id, name, damage etc. values of that item

My question is: If I wanted to add a shop where users could buy items, would it be a good idea to make a new database table that holds just one column per item that would be sold at that shop and have it contain the same values as the items table. Then once that item is purchased, have those values copied to the items table? May sound confusing. Just don't know if this idea is at all efficient.

Assuming there's just the one shop and there are an infinite number of non-tradeable items,

Yes, have a table listing the items for sale. It'll surely have more columns: while items can have a base value I'd make the shop list its own value (which may very well be the same as the base value). When someone buys you "copy" the item to their inventory.

I mention "infinite number" and "non-tradeable items" because if that's not the case then things are a bit different.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.