help: root path

delickate

Hi,

I want to get root path and use on links even if i'm in sub to sub folder etc...

suppose my site name is fitness.com and having two subfolder. so url will become

http://www.fitness.com/dir/dir_sub

here i want to put a link to go to root directory file. there are different ways to do that. e.g:

<a href='../../filename.php'>go to that page</a>

but i want to use some constant that always shows to root directory. as i defined here

define("SERVER_NAME"	, $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']);
//and used it like this
<a href='<?php echo SERVER_NAME;  ?>/filename.php'>go to that page</a>

it works when we're on root directory. but when we go to sub directory it added sub directory name with it. which i don't want.

is there any way?

Thanks

there is a $_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"],

and all kinds of PHP variables

or like $var =  dirname(__FILE__).'/'; for path to current directory etc

I believe what most people do is to have various session variables which they set at the start.

Thanks ocpaul20,

but document root show the absolute path. which i don't want. i need virtual path. yea session is a great idea.

Thanks dragon,

You choose a smart move. I like it. the method will definitely work. Thank a lot.

Thanks all of guys... it is really a help full.

Just start the URL with a "/", that will always be relative to the root of the site.

<a href='/filename.php'>go to that page</a>

That will load the file "filename.php" from the root of the site regardless of the location that was called to create that page.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.