make z-index have auto margins???

lunac

Please check out this site : [url=http://qualityfirstcleaning.com/]http://qualityfirstcleaning.com/[/url]. I have a swf file in the top right corner and I'm trying to figure out how to get it to work with the page. Because I have that purple band stretching across the page, I can't just have this float over it. So I placed it on its own layer. But now, it doesn't gel with the rest of the page. The rest of the page has the margins set to auto, so that when you change browser size it will re-center itself. But the swf div doesn't want to do that. It stays in the place while everything  else moves.

Here's the CSS I have for it:
[code]
#swf {z-index:15; position: absolute; margin: auto; width: 700px; padding-left: 580px; top: 133px;}
[/code]

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

As you are positioning the swf div. Then auto margins will fail to work as the absolute positioning will override it.

What you'll want to do is put the swf div inside the header div and remove the absolute positioning. That should fix it. If I understand your problem correctly.

Removing the absolute positioning moves everything down on the page.

And I'm not sure what you mean, jcombs_31, by container div. It's not being contained by anything else. The layout is:
<header>
<swf>
<bar>
It's between header and bar, but it needs to float over both of them.

Yup, I think I got it. I changed it to relative, but I also moved it to the top:
<swf>
<header>
<bar>

Now it seems to be working. I'm firing up VPC now to check it in explorer and to get my measurements right.

Thanks for the help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.