Advice on easily switching webhosts

roopurt18

My company is talking about switching webhosts and I would be in charge of migrating our current website to the new host.

Our site is actually a web product.  Every time we pick up a new client they receive their own database and their own data directory.  They have unlimited access to uploading files (through our site) as well as bandwidth.

So in addition to the normal moving of PHP code from one server to another I'd also have to move client data directories and client databases.

Can anyone offer some advice or suggestions to make such a move easier not only us but our clients?  This would be the first time I've taken on such a task and would really like to not screw it up!

Well depending on your connection...
Most of the time a hosting server has a good connection preferably T1.
If it's going to be your last month and you get plenty of bandwidth
I'd recommend transfering Server to Server.

Of course that'd mean you have to create a custom Database transfer script
using DUMP commands
but it's better than copying to your Hard Drive and then uploading to another place

I was considering the possibility.  I would imagine I would be dumping all of the databases into some directory on our current host and then using a .tar and ftp'ing from one host to the other.

Would I be faced with a lot of complications in directory permissions or would those be preserved?  I know enough in *nix to be dangerous but by no means am I a proficient user.

Well if you FTP it over, that's 3 ports

80 and 3306 to get the Data
and then 23 to transfer
and then 80 and 3306 on the other server again to insert it.

If you just Insert into the database directly from your old server
that's just 2
80 and 3306 to get it
and then again to send

I guess what I'm getting at is
you dump the data to an sql file from a php script
connect to your new servers DB from your old server
and use mysql_query with the contents of that SQL file you made

and do that for each database

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.