Linux (Mint) Without the Use of the Command Prompt? - (OS not Server Regarded)

equipment

I am looking to use Linux as a dual boot alternative to Windows.

Is it possible nowadays to get by using Linux without a command prompt at all?

I was thinking of the Mint distribution. If so, which variant of it would you recommend?

What are the recommendations, or experiences?

The true power of Linux *is* the command line. What do you want to use Linux for exactly?

From what Iv'e heard, Mint is a user friendly version of Ubuntu, which is itself a user friendly version of Debian, which in turn, is a pretty simple to use GNU/Linux.

With that in mind, I would suggest that using Mint would not be that different to using Windows.

When I started using Linux I had the exact oposite attitude to what you currently do. I installed slackware (after many attempts), installed a minimal desktop (fluxbox) and no file manager. This forced me into using the command line. It's the only way to learn really. Now, some 6-7 years later I can get more done quicker using the command line then I ever could using a desktop and mouse.

I use Mint in a virtual machine as my open source development environment.  I find it easier to use the command line for some things, like changing the permissions/owner of a file.

Like thorpe says, there's a lot of power in the command line.  If you're afraid of screwing stuff up, install your distribution of choice on a virtual machine.  You can save a snapshot of the working OS, and restore back to it if you make a crippling mistake.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.