Learn by example?

smerny

Hey, does anyone know of some good example PHP sites (structured well, MVC, etc) that have source code available to study?

or any resource that shows examples of best-practices in regards to structure and such?

Seems extremely easy to search online and find how to do about any specific thing... but it seems harder to find "the bigger picture"

Yea, I didnt necessarily mean a big project by "the bigger picture", just a full view of a project.. smaller projects would be better.

Something that shows standardized (? or just best practice) use of MVC, basic structure, etc.

I've started my own projects and the outcome is okay, but then for some reason or another it might not scale well... or I'll think of something that I want to change and it basically requires everything to be changed... would be nice to find some guide that kind of steps you through how to start a (simple) project correctly from the ground up, and examples of what it might look like at the end.

Hmm... I haven't seen anything in PHP like what you're asking.  Generally, the various frameworks have decent documentation on how to use said frameworks, but the examples are generally simple/canned in order to highlight particular functionality.  They tend to lack a meaningful, realistic project for someone to see in action.

Symfony2 is pretty much a by-the-numbers MVC framework.  It has great documentation, too: http://symfony.com/doc/current/book/index.html  But the examples, like with others, are designed simply to showcase the framework itself.

If you're looking for a book, a really good one is Bergmann's Real-World Solutions for Developing High-Quality PHP Frameworks and Applications.  Since it's Bergmann, it does focus a lot around making sure your framework is testable, but there is pretty extensive coverage of real-world applications of the basic principles.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.