Problem finding MAX

attaboy

this is my code:

SELECT COUNT(*)AS num, country.Name
FROM country, city
WHERE CountryCode = Code
GROUP BY country.Name
HAVING num = MAX(num);

it doesn't work if the last line is having num > 100 that works but I just want to show the highest number.

You need to write this in clear english I think, because you're selecting from two tables and never join them. It's not clear what you're attempting to do.

It looks like you're trying to get the count of each country, and then get the maximum from that?

AFAIK, you cannot reference a new column name (like num) in your statement, would have to do MAX(COUNT(*)) not MAX(num). But the entire thing looks wrong.

Please explain what you're attempting to do, and figure out how to join your tables.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm pretty sure it's a legitimate join and the alias is a real alias because it works and this comes straight from joins section of a book published by MySQL Press.  I'm trying to get the country with the highest number of cities.

SELECT COUNT(*)AS num, country.Name
FROM country, city
WHERE CountryCode = Code
GROUP BY country.Name
HAVING num > 200;

post-98811-13482403475311_thumb.png

So now you're trying to select the max of num, which would be China in your example correct?

Try:

SELECT COUNT(*) AS num, country.Name

FROM country, city

WHERE CountryCode = Code

GROUP BY country.Name

ORDER BY count(*) DESC

LIMIT 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.