How should i go about this?

wwfc_barmy_army

Hello.

I am reasonably new to coding myself and i have been trying to figure out how i can design this database.

Basically it's to do with music, and i will have these for the input:
-Artist
-Song Name
-Link to the song names site

So i some how need to select the artist, but i will be adding new ones all the time, and there will be many songs to one artist. But i also want to make it so i can list the songs by artist on the main site.

So what i've figured out is that Song Name and Link can just be a text box, but i'm not sure how to do the artist, if i did have a text box i could type it slighty differently and get redundency (think thats the word) in the database. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Who is going to be doing the inputting of data?  If it is going to be you it will probably be pretty easy.  If that form is going to be something that you are going to allow people to put the info in themselves then it will be a little more work.

Basically I see two tables, one for the artist and one for their songs. I put in feild names as examples

table_artist

artist_id              (Primary key feild)
    artist_first_name         
    artist_last_name         
    artist_stage_name
    artist_group_name

table_song
    song_id        (primary key feild)
    artist_id      (foriegn key feild)
    song_link
    song_writer
    song_composer
    song_date
    song_lyrics

If this is all working on the same site then there really is no need to make a webpage for each song.  Just make enough feilds for the artist and song and have one page that pulls the info out of the database depending on what artist/song the user picks.  You could use stylesheets to make the pages look differently for the different groups.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.