Auto_Increment

gork4life

I need help I'm with a table that primary keys auto-increments let's say we have five records listed with primary key as 1,2,3,4,5. What I want is when I delete lets say record 5, the next time I create a record I want it to be 5. Is this possible and is it recommended?

I need help I'm with a table that primary keys auto-increments let's say we have five records listed with primary key as 1,2,3,4,5. What I want is when I delete lets say record 5, the next time I create a record I want it to be 5. Is this possible and is it recommended?

As an idea, we could have an interesting discussion, but the fact is, that is not supported.

On death row there is a particularly nasty character guilty of numerous murders. Having been a repeat offender all his life he has rather a large criminal records file, the ID of this file being his social security number. The guy is finally executed so his social security number is no longer required.

By coincidence, just after he is executed, your child is born and, as this guy no longer needs his SSN, it is reallocated to  your child. Your child, though completely innocent, now has a criminal record as long as your arm.

A fictitious and extreme example but nonetheless a lesson in why you don't reallocate keys.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.