Struggling With Get on Receiving Page

justlukeyou

It still doesn't make too much sense. What do you want to accomplish with $ID. Your best bet would be to grab a SQL book and learn basic SQL statements. There is a MySQL Help forum.

My guess: $sql = sprintf('SELECT * FROM `articles` WHERE `col_id_field` = %d;', mysql_real_escape_string($ID));

no need to sort by ID since this is the page that will retrieve the id from your previous list. You would sort that list by ID.

<?php
$ID = mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['ID']);
$sql = "SELECT * FROM articles WHERE ID = '$ID';
$res = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($res); // no need to loop since you are retrieving only one row
$num_rows = mysql_num_rows($res); // check to see if any results were found, just in case someone puts an ID in the url without clicking on your link
if($num_rows > 0)
{
echo $row['ID'].' '.$row['title'].' '.$row['intro'];
} else {
echo "No results found";
}

?>

Try it out

Ray

Brilliant, thanks ever so much for this.

It did create one error so I took out the query and put it in a string and did echo the results which is just test material so its definately getting there.

SELECT * FROM articles WHERE ID = ''2 Cats Are Best You will find Cats are the best

$query_string= "SELECT * FROM articles WHERE ID = '$ID'";
echo $query_string;

$query = mysql_query($query_string);

This the error it created:  syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /home/ukhomefu/public_html/articles/article.php on line 137

Which refers to this line:

Does the error above mean anything to anyone?  Should there be brackets somewhere?

Could echo this way.

echo "{$row['ID']} {$row['title']} {$row['intro']}";

Is no difference.

I'm stumped at this line:

SELECT * FROM articles WHERE ID = ''2 Cats Are Best You will find Cats are the best

What is that and where did it come from?

Hi,

This line is what was echoed onto the screen when I put the query into a string.

The ID is 2

Title:    2 Cats Are Best

Intro:  You will find Cats are the best

So it does work but only when I put it in a query string which also echoes the query.

Does this help at all?

Hi,

It creates this error. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to resolve this.

This the error it created:  syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /home/home/public_html/articles/article.php on line 137

Can I add something like this or die(mysql_error()); to get more information?

Please see below all the code I have:

<?php
$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($res); // no need to loop since you are retrieving only one row
$num_rows = mysql_num_rows($res); // check to see if any results were found, just in case someone puts an ID in the url without clicking on your link
if($num_rows > 0)
{
} else {
echo "No results found";
}
?>

You probably should make sure GET isset before running query.

<?php
if (isset($_GET['ID'])){
if($num_rows > 0)
{
} else {
echo "No results found";
}
}
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.