Managing Friends & Requests

doubledee

My website allows Members to request to be "friends" with other Members.

To be Friends, you would have something like this in database terms...

Requestor	Requestee	Request_Approved	Requestee_Approved
----------	----------	-----------------	-------------------
19		25		1			1			

...where the 3rd and 4th columns can hold: 0="Decide Later", 1="Accept", 2="Decline"

Here is where things get complicated in my mind...

Business Rules:

- Debbie (Me) can make Outgoing Friend-Requests which are "Pending"

- Debbie (Me) can make Outgoing Friend-Requests which are "Accepted"

- Debbie (Me) can make Outgoing Friend-Requests which are "Declined"

- Debbie (Me) can receive Incoming Friend-Requests which are "Pending"

- Debbie (Me) can receive Incoming Friend-Requests which are "Accepted"

- Debbie (Me) can receive Incoming Friend-Requests which are "Declined"

- "Friend-Requests" that are accepted by both parties turn into "Friendships"

- It takes both a "Requestor" and a "Requestee" to form a "Friend-Request" and ultimately a "Friendship"

- Either a "Requestor" or a "Requestee" may want to change their "Friend-Requests" and/or "Friendships"

How do I manage all of that via Views in my Member's Profile?!  :shrug:

Currently, I have the following...

1.) "My Friends" tab in the Member Profile which shows all a.) Consummated Friendships, b.) Pending Friendships (Outgoing), c.) Pending Friendships (Incoming)

2.) "Incoming Friend-Requests" page showing all Incoming Requests with "Decide Later", "Accept" and "Decline" radio buttons for each entry

3.) "History of Friend-Requests" page showing both Current and Historical Friend-Requests with "Decide Later", "Accept" and "Decline" radio buttons for each entry (This would allow someone to change what they decided on an old Friend-Request, e.g. deciding to "Accept" a Request that was previously "Declined".)

Concerns:

1.) How do I show/allow Members who made a Friend-Request and was "Accepted" by both parties, "Terminate" the Friendship?

2.) How do I show/allow Members who received a Friend-Request and was "Accepted" by both Parties, "Terminate" the Friendship?

3.) How do I show/allow Members who made a Friend-Request - which is still "Pending" - change their mind and "Terminate" the Friendship-Request?

4.) Do I need some "super" view that shows every a.) Outgoing Friend-Request, b.) Incoming Friend-Request, c.) Accepted Friend, d.) Declined Friend and all of the states for each of them?!  (This is where things get *crazy* if you do every combination?!)  :o

**NOTE:  I don't need help with the PHP/MySQL mechanics to make all of this work...  I am just confused about how I should design the User-Interface and what my System should and should not do and show?!

I am probably making this entire "Friend" thing way too complicated, but like most things in life, there is more to it than meets the eye?!

Thoughts and advice welcome!!

Sincerely,

Debbie

1.) How do I show/allow Members who made a Friend-Request and was "Accepted" by both parties, "Terminate" the Friendship?

Via an "unfriend" button, while viewing that friend's profile.

2.) How do I show/allow Members who received a Friend-Request and was "Accepted" by both Parties, "Terminate" the Friendship?

See #1.

3.) How do I show/allow Members who made a Friend-Request - which is still "Pending" - change their mind and "Terminate" the Friendship-Request?

Via a "Cancel" button, while viewing that friend's profile.

4.) Do I need some "super" view that shows every a.) Outgoing Friend-Request, b.) Incoming Friend-Request, c.) Accepted Friend, d.) Declined Friend and all of the states for each of them?!  (This is where things get *crazy* if you do every combination?!) 

No, varying pages based off of users "filters." E.g. I select "View all friends" - that shows all of my accepted friends. "View friend requests" - shows your current incoming (and outgoing if you want) requests, as well as an option to view declined.

Take a look at Facebook - they do a great job organizing this.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.