Help designing database!

thetylercox

The objective: Design a database for a local store in town to keep up with customers and their purchases.Not an online store!

The issue i'm having: How to handle the issue of repeat customers. So I have the fields they want to keep up with but on the return trip I don't want to delete the old info instead

I want to add to it. So when the record is pulled for this person it will show all there past purchases but only on one record. I had the idea of making another database for purchases and using unique keys I would query the purchased database! Enough with the rambling. I'm just open for ideas I am a bit of a nob when it comes to the designing and would kindly like some advice links something to point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance

Tyler Cox

You need separate tables for customer information and their purchases. Each item purchased would be stored in the purchases table with, at a minimum, the primary key id of the user, the quantity and id of the item purchased, date, unit cost, etc.

You'll probably have an easier time if you Google "database normalization" and apply those principles to the requirements of our application. For me to try to explain anything much beyond the basics would probably just confuse you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.