How can I sync application configs between two Windows 7 machines?

scootstah

Both my desktop and laptop are running Windows 7. I use both for coding and doing whatever quite a bit. I'm really sick of having to reconfigure things on both machines if I mess with something. For example if I find a cool new Firefox extension, I have to download it on both machines.

So I thought it would be pretty neat if I could sync up some of my applications (like Firefox, Chrome, Eclipse, Notepad++... you get the idea) so that any changes to the config files on one machine will automatically effect the other.

My idea was basically this: have an application where I can set directories/files to watch on my desktop and laptop. If those files ever change, automatically send them to my file server. Both machines watch the file server for changes and if changes are found it will download the newer files. The reason for doing it this way over just directly sending it to the laptop/desktop is that both machines might not be on at any one time, but the file server is always online.

Does anything like that exist? I'm not real keen on coding that type of stuff.

If you have a spare comp lying around, you could install your favorite *nix flavour then setup Samba to act as a PDC (Primary Domain Controller) and setup your roaming profile in Windows to sync to/from the PDC. Samba-HOWTO

I used to use an application called GoodSync which might helpful.  It has pretty good feature set.  I could envision a login script that would sync up things or some such.

Or use some cloud service to store settings too... lots of possibilities

Depends where the application decides to store it's configs I'd imagine.

Syncing the applications registry entries as well as folders could be a bitch. Windows has done a shit job of giving developers ONE place to store application settings, and developers have done a shitty job of sticking to something common.

Registry

C:\Users\User\Appdata\

C:\ProgramData\

C:\Program Files [(x86)]\Common Files\

Application's installation folder

probably more

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.