my sites do not use cookies, yet pc has cookies related to my sites ?

jason310771

I have just deleted a stack of cookies from my pc and while do this I found a load of sites i manage that should not be using cookies, i know they dont.  yet cookies exist on my pc.

the site name is what my site is and the name's of the cookie are "__qca", "__utma", "__utmb" and "__utmz"

each one has a different content, the first have for example...  P0-1234567-123456789

the next has the same number as before but has other number as well but with . betwwen instead of the dash

the other also has similar content and the last again similar...

123456.456789123.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)

why ?  how?

I have never used cookies and can not understand how these are being stored on the pc.

can anyone suggest what it could be ?

Cookies are not my strong point and I by choice do not use them.  But due to the new laws about cookies and that we have to inform visitors before they continue if they consent to having a cookie stored on their pc's or not I need to find a way to stop them being stored but allow for visitors that do. What method or methods could I use to do this without completely removing the Google Analytics.  Has anyone got any sites with instruction on how this could be done for a begininer.

Cookies are not my strong point and I by choice do not use them.  But due to the new laws about cookies and that we have to inform visitors before they continue if they consent to having a cookie stored on their pc's or not I need to find a way to stop them being stored but allow for visitors that do. What method or methods could I use to do this without completely removing the Google Analytics.  Has anyone got any sites with instruction on how this could be done for a begininer.

Where are these laws?! That's insane, since a user chooses to accept cookies... they're not being 'forced' upon the user at all.

Talk about protecting users from themselves :/

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.