Bad Habit? Extra variables inside methods

ChadNomad

Hi all,

I am nitpicking here but I have wondered what the negatives are of assigning local variables to existing class variables are. To make more sense here is an example:

<?php
class myClass {
private $_something;

public $config = array(
	'setting' => 123,
);

public function __construct(array $config)
{
	$this->config = $config;
}

public function go()
{
	/*
	 * Is this considered bad? I know an extra variable is being made
	 * but I find it tedious constantly using $this, static, self etc
	 */
	$something = $this->_something;

if($something)

/*
	 * Another thing I've found myself doing is typecasting arrays
	 * to objects to save time typing. Is this bad?
	 */
	 $config = (object) $config;

if($config->setting === 123)
}
}

I work alone mostly and have just started to become curious about all the bad habits I have.

Thanks

Nothing wrong with setting class params with a constructor param of the same name (e.g. $this->foo = $foo).

However, when accessing class params later, just reference $this->foo - no need to set another local variable in the function.  It unnecessarily uses some processor time and memory.  Quicker and better to read from $this. 

If you want to temporarily modify the param for output, however, you should copy it, e.g.

function getSomethingWithCoolAlgorithmApplied($foo) {

for ($i = 0; $i < $foo; $i++) {

$something *= rand(1,9);

}

return $something;

}

The problem with what you're doing is that, in addition to your changes being irregular and useless, you're making your code harder to read.  You're not gaining anything but a few keystrokes, and that's at the expense of clarity.

I though this was the case. As its my own code I probably don't realise the inconsistencies I'm making for everyone.

Nothing wrong with setting class params with a constructor param of the same name (e.g. $this->foo = $foo).

However, when accessing class params later, just reference $this->foo - no need to set another local variable in the function.  It unnecessarily uses some processor time and memory.  Quicker and better to read from $this. 

If you want to temporarily modify the param for output, however, you should copy it, e.g.

function getSomethingWithCoolAlgorithmApplied($foo) {

for ($i = 0; $i < $foo; $i++) {

$something *= rand(1,9);

}

return $something;

}

Thanks. I think its reaffirmed my suspicion that its all too unnecessary.

Thanks guys

Oh, missed the casting bit.  Yes, it's bad.  Casting to an object adds unnecessary overhead.  Further, PHP's arrays are extremely powerful.  They are a collection / hash, iterator, and array all in one, and there are so many built-in functions for them, you're shooting yourself in the foot by switching to an object.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.