How to Set Up a Remote Testing Server

vincej

Hi - my site is almost done. Now I want to put all my existing code up on a server for remote testing. However, I want it in a separate folder, not available to the public as there is an existing old site still installed. So .. I created a separate folder 'CLFarms' inside /public/ and uploaded all my files off my C drive.

I made no further changes.

I am now getting 3 errors:

Message: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /services9/webpages/g/r/organiclife.com/public/CLFarms/index.php:2)

Message: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /services9/webpages/g/r/organiclife.com/public/CLFarms/index.php:2)

Message: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /services9/webpages/g/r/organiclife.com/public/CLFarms/index.php:2)

Needless to say my site does not display anything.

I tried changing the config file to  see if that would help - I made the following changes to no effect:

$config['base_url'] = 'http://organiclife.com/public/CLFarms/'; 

I have tried using the config with the /public/ in and out of the address - it made not difference.

Can anybody tell me where I am going wrong ??

Many Many thanks !

Many Thanks ... I realised my mistake adn so I fixed all the output errors or at least I'm not getting any messages anymore.

However, I'm still getting a white screen of nothing ...

any ideas where I should look ?  I'm using codeigniter

Many Thanks !

I'm going to venture a guess that the site was built with some code that assumes the site is running at the root of the website even if you do set the path in the config using

$config['base_url'] = 'http://organiclife.com/public/CLFarms/'; 

Ideally, that shouldn't be the case. But,if you are going to run the site from the root as I would suspect, there is another solution. Depending upon your host you can set up different web roots for different domains or even sub-domains. If so, you can set up a sub-domain and point it to a different folder. For example set up the sub-domain dev.organiclife.com and point it to a specific folder and dump your files there. I would suggest a completely separate folder rather than a sub-folder of the main site to keep everything separate.

Turning off error reporting doesn't fix the errors. All that does is make it so when you do have errors, you no longer have any clue as to what the error actually is. There's a sticky topic titled "HEADER ERRORS - READ HERE BEFORE POSTING THEM" that should help you with this problem.

Thanks Psycho - I have tried changing the base url removing the 'public' component. When I place a 'hello World' test file in the CLFarms folder and go :  http://www.organiclife.com/CLFarms/test.php  it works fine.

but if I change test to index.php I get nothing - white screen.

I can try the sub domain thing but certianly this should work .. no ?  any advice ?

btw - Pikachu I have error reporting set to E_ALL - thanks anyway. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.