Signing in with FB/Twitter/Google (+ more help with my project)

Grandioso

I'll be building a website - probably creating a custom Wordpress theme + plugins.

I want the users to be able to log in with any of the 3 mentioned platforms (and will be automatically signed in when they're signed in to G/FB/Tw). The users will then be able to customize their feed - the posts they will see on the website, in the email feed (if activated) and through RSS - using categories and tags.

They will have 3 options for each tag/category - favorite (posts will stay on top and will somehow be highlighted), subscribe and ignore (these won't show up in their feed).

I'm kinda confused, because I've never worked with logins through social platforms and neither did I create wordpress themes.

So...

Can I do it in wordpress or should I look for another CMS ? Can you please throw at me some tutorials which you think will be useful ? Especially with the filtering and logins. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I already got the sign in part down thanks to this awesome plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/oa-social-login

I've got most of my website now, but I've run into some issues. Currently I'm working on a contact form, which is pretty easy, but i want to do it right and integrate it nicely into Wordpress. I already tried a plugin called "Contact form 7", but it's not working for me. I'm guessing one of the plugins I use is messing with the shorttag, so I can't use them. The form will be inside a page, so I can just insert the form HTML into the page. What I'm not sure about is, where should I redirect the form (the action attribute). Is there some special way to do this in WP, or should I just do it as I would do it normally - make a new file within the theme directory and handle the form there ? I want to create an AJAX form, if it makes any difference.

Please check out my other issues and let me know if have any suggestions..

have_comments() returns false [with comments_template()]

wp_get_recent_posts stopped working

Yeah, that's what I'm asking. How do I do that ?

I didn't mention that normally, with JS turned on, the pages display withing the index page, so the URL doesn't change - it just slides down.

Check it out at test.nowillnoskill.net

I did something similar with the "endless scroll" - I had to "add action" in functions.php.  Is it something similar ?

Btw why haven't I come across an in depth tutorial to wordpress with explanations of how it works ? I really want to learn it, but I don't know where. Can anyone point me in the right direction ? Maybe a good ebook on the topic ?

you could omit the action attribute and have the form send to itself and process it on the same page.

Yeah, that's what I'm asking. How do I do that ?

o . mit   [oh-mit]

verb (used with object), o.mit.ted, o.mit.ting.

1. to leave out; fail to include or mention:

It's inside the 'test' page, which loads through AJAX when it's called from the navig, so it's basically on the homepage. I just put one input there, it's not how it will look like, but if you go to http://test.nowillnoskill.net/ you can see how it works.

So basically if I omit the 'action' att, the I'm submitting it to index.php, isn't that right ? What I'm asking is, what do I then ? I'm pretty sure I don't have to edit the index file and that there's a different way to do this in WP.

I solved the AJAX form, but I'm not sure how secure it is. It is submitted to index.php, and it can only be posted with AJAX. Does anyone have any idea what happens if someone has JS turned off and posts some code to the Wordpress index page ? I think it should be fine, isn't it ?

BTW is there a way to add a new Wordpress variable that I can change in the backend UI ? I'd like to add things like e-mail address and auto-response text for the form, so I don't have to change the code every time I need to change it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.