Late request received from the server

paengski13

Hi,

I have this auction website, where sometimes (happen once or twice a day) the client request is delay for 2-3 seconds before the server received that request.

take a look at this scenario:

- auction time 00:00:01

- someone make a bid

Normally the system detects that someone make a bid, so the auction time will extend up to 20 seconds.

However, at a random time, the bid request was received 2 seconds after the auction closed.

I have this condition when the auction closed no one can bid anymore, so I am sure that this bid was a valid bid.

I have created a log from the start of the process so that I know what time the request from the server was received.

user      auction id  time when server received the request (PHP)

ABCDE  1887          2012-07-10 22:35:52

auction id  auction closed

1887          2012-07-10 22:35:50

As you can see the auction closed at 22:35:50 but the request was received at 22:35:52.

My question is, what are the reasons why sometimes the request is delayed?

Thanks in advance!

Is the server receiving enough connections that it has to queue some up?

Hi, I am not familiar with our server configuration, we are using Windows, and I think our server is high enough to handle all the process.

But I am not sure what configuration needed.

May I know what to look at so I can check the server setting

I think there are less thank 30 users in every auction, since this was launch last May only.

If it's not on your end then it's somewhere between you and the user, and (unless it has to do with the page slowing down the browser or something) that means there's nothing you can do about it.

Meanwhile (a) do you have somebody who manages the server configuration and (b) how many users do you think you have active per, say, minute?

If it's not on your end then it's somewhere between you and the user, and (unless it has to do with the page slowing down the browser or something) that means there's nothing you can do about it.

Meanwhile (a) do you have somebody who manages the server configuration and (b) how many users do you think you have active per, say, minute?

Yes we do have a staff who manage our server, but normally I or him does not have enough knowledge on this issues. I think less than 5 - 10 minutes per minute? What I am thinking is to add a 1-2 seconds delay before the auction close, so just in case the this scenario happen. But I still want to know how to solve this if it is really possible to solve.

Thank you!

Anyone knows how to solve this?

This problem happen again, the request was received 1 seconds after the auction closed, and 2 users bid at the last 1 second (00:00:01) .

So the delay is around 2-3 seconds before the system received the request.

Does anyone know what to configure or to check for this kind of problem?

This only happen once or twice a day, I am not sure what can trigger this event.

Thanks in advance

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.