Isset not cooperating

I'm trying to make the following code work and can't seem to figure it out. I know it has to do with the line I commented on, but can't figure out how to make it work.

I've tried a few different ways with no luck. It's this part "] == "'.$status.'")" I've tried "$status", "'.$status.'", '.$status.','$status' ...Any idea?

function showresults($conn) {

// DEFAULT RESULTS

$stmt = $conn->prepare("SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,subscribesearches,subscribedrips FROM contacts WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') AND status = 'New' ORDER BY date DESC");

// STATUS RESULTS ('New', 'Hot', 'Warm', 'Cold', 'Rejected', 'Closed')

$status = $_GET['status'];

if(isset($_GET['status']) && $_GET['status'] == "'.$status.'") // THIS IS THE ISSUE, JUST NOT SURE HOW TO WRITE $status after ==
    $stmt = $conn->prepare("SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,subscribesearches,subscribedrips FROM contacts WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') AND status = '.$status.' ORDER BY date DESC");

// BIND AND EXECUTE

$stmt->execute();
	$stmt->bind_result($ID,$date,$firstname,$lastname,$spousefirst,$spouselast,$primarybday,$spousebday,$phonecell,$phonehome,$phoneoffice,$spousecell,$phoneother,$email,$emailspouse,$emailother,$emailspouseother,$address,$suite,$city,$state,$zipcode,$addressother,$suiteother,$cityother,$stateother,$zipcodeother,$agentassigned,$contacttype,$status,$contactsource,$timing,$password,$subscribesearches,$subscribedrips);

while ($stmt->fetch()) {

echo'
             <tr>
				<td><input type="checkbox" name="checked[]" value="'.$ID.'"></td>
			<td><a href="/cms/view/?ID='.$ID.'"><strong>'.$firstname.' '.$lastname.'</strong></a></td>
			<td>'.$phonecell.'</td>
			<td><a href="mailto:'. $email.'">'.$email.'</a></td>
			<td>'.date("M jS, g:i A", strtotime($date)).'</td>
			<td>'.$contactsource.'</td>
			<td>'.$status.'</td>
			<td>'.$contacttype.'</td>
			<td>'.$agentassigned.'</td>
			<td><a href="/cms/contacts/notes.php?ID='.$ID.'">V </a>+</td>
			<td><a href="/cms/contacts/todo.php?ID='.$ID.'">V </a>+</td>
			<td><a href="javascript: removelead('.$ID.')">D</a></td>
           </tr>';
}

}

Since you've just assigned the value from $_GET['status'] to $status in the previous line of code, there is no need for the $_GET['status'] == $status comparison at all. If you 're trying to make sure $status contains one of the values from the list you have above that (new, hot, warm, etc. . . ), you should put those values in an array and use in_array instead.

Since you've just assigned the value from $_GET['status'] to $status in the previous line of code, there is no need for the $_GET['status'] == $status comparison at all. If you 're trying to make sure $status contains one of the values from the list you have above that (new, hot, warm, etc. . . ), you should put those values in an array and use in_array instead.

I see what you're saying, I was trying to prevent from having to create an array with (new, hot, warm, etc. . . )  because if a user adds a new status type, to the database(contactstatus), I would have to manually go in and change the array, does that make sense?

No, it doesn't make sense really. You could just as easily run a SELECT COUNT() query to verify whether the value is a valid status or not, but I'm not sure I'd let users edit things like that.

I'll try to explain, maybe I'm approaching this wrong and you can help straighten me out.

Here is what I had before:

if(isset($_GET['status']) && $_GET['status'] == "New")
    $stmt = $conn->prepare("SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,subscribesearches,subscribedrips FROM contacts WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') AND status = 'New' ORDER BY date DESC");

if(isset($_GET['status']) && $_GET['status'] == "Hot")
    $stmt = $conn->prepare("SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,subscribesearches,subscribedrips FROM contacts WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') AND status = 'Hot' ORDER BY date DESC");

if(isset($_GET['status']) && $_GET['status'] == "Warm")
    $stmt = $conn->prepare("SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,subscribesearches,subscribedrips FROM contacts WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') AND status = 'Warm' ORDER BY date DESC");

if(isset($_GET['status']) && $_GET['status'] == "Cold")
    $stmt = $conn->prepare("SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,subscribesearches,subscribedrips FROM contacts WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') AND status = 'Cold' ORDER BY date DESC");

if(isset($_GET['status']) && $_GET['status'] == "Rejected")
    $stmt = $conn->prepare("SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,subscribesearches,subscribedrips FROM contacts WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') AND status = 'Rejected' ORDER BY date DESC");

if(isset($_GET['status']) && $_GET['status'] == "Closed")
    $stmt = $conn->prepare("SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,subscribesearches,subscribedrips FROM contacts WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') AND status = 'Closed' ORDER BY date DESC");

Here is what I'm trying to change it to so that if a user adds a new status type into the database it's automatically available to search by (in other words, I don't have to go in and create a new line as in the above code.

if(isset($_GET['status']) && $_GET['status'] == "'.$status.'")
    $stmt = $conn->prepare("SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,subscribesearches,subscribedrips FROM contacts WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') AND status = '.$status.' ORDER BY date DESC");

$_GET['status'] == "'.$status.'"

will never be true, if you're defining

Are you trying to validate that status is a valid option? If so, you're going to have to manually define the array, or build the array form this list of allowed values in the database, and check against that.

$_GET['status'] == "'.$status.'"

will never be true, if you're defining

Are you trying to validate that status is a valid option? If so, you're going to have to manually define the array, or build the array form this list of allowed values in the database, and check against that.

Not validate that status is a valid option. Instead, what I want is for the leads that have just the status 'Hot' to show or 'Cold' or 'New'. So, what I have is a dropdown with all the options (New, Hot, Cold, etc.) and when one is selected it only displays those leads.

Previously I had each one with a statement

if(isset($_GET['status']) && $_GET['status'] == "New")

if(isset($_GET['status']) && $_GET['status'] == "Hot")
    $stmt = $conn->prepare("SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,subscribesearches,subscribedrips FROM contacts WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') AND status = 'Hot' ORDER BY date DESC");

And what I want to do is something like this (but it's not working):

if(isset($_GET['status']) && $_GET['status'] == '.$status.')

You're over-complicating this.

<?php

$query =
"SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,spousebday,
	phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,email,emailspouse,emailother,
	emailspouseother,address,suite,city,state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,
	stateother,zipcodeother,agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,
	password,subscribesearches,subscribedrips
FROM contacts
WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor')";

if(isset($_GET['status'])) {
$status = $conn->escape_string($_GET['status']);
$query .= " AND STATUS = '$status'";
}
$query = " ORDER BY date DESC";

$conn->prepare($query);

?>

other alternative (maintaining 'NEW' as the Default option):

function showresults() {

// DEFAULT
    $status = 'NEW';

if (isset($_GET['status']) && !empty($_GET['status'])) {
    }

$query = "SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,
                       spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,
                       email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,
                       state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,
                       agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,
                       subscribesearches,subscribedrips 
                  FROM contacts 
                  WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') 
                  AND status = '$status' 
                  ORDER BY date DESC";

$stmt = $conn->prepare( $query);

other alternative (maintaining 'NEW' as the Default option):

function showresults() {

// DEFAULT
    $status = 'NEW';

}

$query = "SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,
                       spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,
                       email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,
                       state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,
                       agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,
                       subscribesearches,subscribedrips 
                  FROM contacts 
                  WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') 
                  AND status = '$status' 
                  ORDER BY date DESC";

$stmt = $conn->prepare( $query);

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!! THANK YOU!!!

ALSO THANKS TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO CHIMED IN TO HELP!!!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

other alternative (maintaining 'NEW' as the Default option)

Here is another challenge...Lets say I have another dropdown box on the page with Sources (Website, Referral, etc.) How would I add this in to the function?

So I have:

// DEFAULT RESULTS

$status = 'New';

}

$query = "SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,subscribesearches,subscribedrips FROM contacts WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') AND status = '$status' ORDER BY date DESC";

$stmt = $conn->prepare($query);

// SOURCE RESULTS

if(isset($_GET['contactsource']) && $_GET['contactsource'] == "Website")
    $stmt = $conn->prepare("SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,subscribesearches,subscribedrips FROM contacts WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') AND contactsource = 'Buzz' ORDER BY date DESC");

if(isset($_GET['contactsource']) && $_GET['contactsource'] == "Referral")
    $stmt = $conn->prepare("SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,subscribesearches,subscribedrips FROM contacts WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') AND contactsource = 'Expired' ORDER BY date DESC");

Because if I do the following, the DEFAULT and STATUS RESULTS DON't SHOW UP

// DEFAULT RESULTS

$status = 'New';

}

$query = "SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,subscribesearches,subscribedrips FROM contacts WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') AND status = '$status' ORDER BY date DESC";

// SOURCE RESULTS ('Website', 'Referral',)

if (isset($_GET['contactsource']) && !empty($_GET['contactsource'])) {
$contactsource = $conn->escape_string($_GET['contactsource']);
}

$query = "SELECT ID,date,firstname,lastname,spousefirst,spouselast,primarybday,spousebday,phonecell,phonehome,phoneoffice,spousecell,phoneother,email,emailspouse,emailother,emailspouseother,address,suite,city,state,zipcode,addressother,suiteother,cityother,stateother,zipcodeother,agentassigned,contacttype,status,contactsource,timing,password,subscribesearches,subscribedrips FROM contacts WHERE contacttype IN ('Buyer','Seller','Buyer / Seller','Investor') AND contactsource = '$contactsource' ORDER BY date DESC";

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.