Scavenger Hunt / Puzzle Ideas

Jessica

I am designing a sort of scavenger hunt for my husband and I's next anniversary. It will be a present that takes all year to completely finish, and every time he finishes a step in it he gets a tangible present (which may be small or large).

So for example, part of it (which I already programmed), is a php page that he will access on his iPhone.

It uses the phone's GPS to tell you how far away from a goal location you are, but not in which direction you need to go. You get about 25 chances to "test" it. (If you're more than a mile away, it just does miles, I got the accuracy down to a few feet so it's fairly close once you get under a mile). Once you get within a mile then you really only need 2 of the distances, if you use a map and mark where you were then you can find the two points which are that distance away, and if it's not one it's the other.

Anyway once he gets to the location he gets one of the presents, and a clue for the next puzzle.

I also built a cryptex out of PVC pipe, that contains a key inside, so to unlock something else for the puzzle he has to solve a riddle to get the cryptex open.

other ideas I have are simple word puzzles like crossword/wordsearch.

Harder stuff is challenges like having a game night with some of our friends, and when he beats person A at game X he gets a clue, etc.

So I want it to have a thinking component and a social component - he's going to have to remember or find out details from our wedding, but also use his brain to solve puzzles. Since he is going back to school to become an engineer, and is very good with mechanics/how stuff works, I'd like to incorporate plenty of harder puzzles which I may not be able to do on my own, or even think of because that's not stuff that's interesting to me :-P There will also be a time component as one of the presents would be something like tickets to a basketball game, or for one a package has to be shipped.

So if you guys have any ideas, suggestions on stuff I could incorporate, I'd love to hear it. This is something I've been working on for a while, but I need to start getting more specific and plan it out. :) Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.