sql statements based on ##/##/#### format.

njdubois

My dates are in the format of month/day/year.  ##/##/####, with no leading zeros, so 7 is 7, not 07.

I will be provided to name, a start date, and an end date.

so, Nick, 5/5/2012, 5/15/2012

I need to pull all records from a table from the start date, to the end date, where name = nick.

What would my sql statement look like?

I've looked all over the internet, but everything says to use a different date format, but I've already got a massive database, with many different applications using and writing to said database.

Many thanks for the assistance!

Nick

Can't locate the edit link?

Guess I should have included this information.

My current solution involves giving the user options, month week or day.

Month is easy, I use LIKE $month .'/%%/'.$year

But for week, I do a for loop for each day and build a long sql statement using or

select * from table where name = 'nick' AND date='5/5/2012' OR name='nick' AND date='5/6/2012'

but this seems like to much work?  The problems start when they want more days than a week worth of data pulled, or maybe only a handful of days with in a week.  what if its 2 dates that span months?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Nick

Selecting month/year:

SELECT * FROM sometable WHERE MONTH(STR_TO_DATE(`date`)) = $month AND YEAR(STR_TO_DATE(`date`)) = $year

Selecting a specific week:

SELECT * FROM sometable WHERE WEEK(STR_TO_DATE(`date`)) = $week AND YEAR(STR_TO_DATE(`date`)) = $year

Like pikachu already mentioned you should add a new column with the proper date format (and data-type) and use that onwards.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.