Looking for assistance

Kainan

Hello Phpfreak!

I haven't programmed in PHP in about 6 or so years. Prior to that I was an avid programmer with years of experience. I stopped programming because a business I started took off and I didn't have time to code. Unfortunately I sold the business and my developers moved on.

I have a application I would like to build and I am seriously considering doing it myself as has been difficult to find anyone to do the work for me.

What are the popular opensource libraries these days. Database connectivity, AJAX, etc. I am not looking to customize Drupel or anything along those lines.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

K

There are a great amount of OS frameworks these days.  The recommended framework would depend on your needs and skill-set.  Off the top of my head: CakePHP, CodeIgniter, Zend, Symfony, Yii, and Laravel.  They are all FOSS and have varying levels of learning curves.  The frameworks have their own db drivers, but you can always mix and match if you're okay going under the hood.  There are also several javascript libraries to choose from.  jQuery seems to be extremely prevalent, but yahoo has one, and there are a dozen others.

Mahngiel, thank you for the recommendations. Some good stuff there. Defiantly gets me pointed in the right direction!

I am considering putting and ad in the freelance department. We'll see how she goes on my own.

Thanks,

K

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.