Storing Data in sessions or cookies?

Monkuar

For my RPG game.  I have a chatbox that is a notification box and a actual live chat (using only short polling) for now.

I was wondering what's the best way to store client side information to display to the user?  Like if a user kills a monster It will put "Gained 200 EXP".  /etc/etc, Would using cookies for this be a good idea or...?  would need to save that data for atleast a day, or 15+hours.  I do not want to use mysql for this, there has to be a way storing it clientside?

The problem with storing it in a cookie is that it's going to be sent to the server with every request - waste of bandwidth.

This is what databases are designed to do, so I'm not sure why you're against going that way.

The problem with storing it in a cookie is that it's going to be sent to the server with every request - waste of bandwidth.

This is what databases are designed to do, so I'm not sure why you're against going that way.

I just figured maybe the logs will take a performance hit.. I guess it just depends how bad I optimize them then eh?

Like, if I am farming some mobs, and each time I kill 1 or take a hit, I want it to show "Took damage of "XXX", "You killed merman/etc gained 200XP".  Maybe I am thinking little notifications to the user are fine for that instead of actually storing it? Maybe I am getting it a little mixed up, I apologize. 

I guess making a logs table will be a good idea, I can always just prune old ones after xx amount of time, or let the user delete his logs (that ARE NOT ESSENTIAL) if he/she wants.  I think I might have been thinking a little bit to much and over-thought this process, I need to relax and let go.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.