Do I need to use a session? Not quite sure on what to do next?

scm22ri

Hi Everyone,

In the below URL example, before someone enters their information (name, last, email) I want that visitor to login before they submit their information. My first question is, how would I have that user be presented with a login page if they aren't logged in or have an account?

My concern is this, I don't want any visitor typing in their name, last and email without being a member first. As it stands now, if a visitor typed in their first, last name and email without logging in the information they typed in would be submitted into the database (I don't want that). I want a visitor to first login and then type in their information. How would I do something like that?

http://whatsmyowncarworth.com/auto-members/car-display/car-display-contact.php

Thanks!

Sessions are the ideal way to track a user over multiple requests.

There are many basic PHP user/pass tutorials on the net. Most seem out of date, or give overall bad advice.

If you want to do it right, check out the article in my signature. It's a big read, and not exactly non-coder friendly though. If this is your first PHP application, it might be overwhelming.

When a user logs into a website a session variable is set. This usually contains the database id of that user. Here is some psuedo code for login.php

if login form is submitted
  if username & password fields have been completed
    if the username & password fields exist in the database
       get user id
       set session user id
       redirect user to relevent page
    else throw error
  else throw error
end

On pages where a user must be logged in you must check that the session variable exists. If it doesn't redirect them to login.php. i.e my-account.php

if session variable user id does not exist
  redirect to login
else continue

Simple

A bit clearer and simpler way to write the above pseudo-code, and thus the code itself:

if login form is submitted
if NOT username & password fields have been completed
	Throw error
	Show form again (with username pre-filled).
	Exit function

Retrieve user ID, password hash and salt from database, on username.

if NOT the username exist in the database
	throw error about unknown username and/or password
	show form again
	exit function

Hash user-submitted password.
if NOT user-submitted hash equals database.
	throw error about unknown username and/or password
	show form again
	exit function

Get user ID
Set session user ID
Redirect user to relevant page
Kill script.

Show form

I've also added a couple of steps necessary to provide proper password security, as explained in the article linked to by xyph.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.