rewrite and redirecting to subdomain

vexx

Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a situation. I want to change my rewrite rules for a folder to a subdomain and then redirect old rules to new ones (for SEO).

So basically I have this:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^news/index([0-9-]+)\.html$ index.php?page=pressrelease_homepage&pn=$1
RewriteRule ^news/$ index.php?page=pressrelease_homepage
RewriteRule ^press/([a-zA-Z0-9-]+)-([0-9-]+)\.html$ index.php?page=pressrelease_page&id=$2

I want to rewrite everything www.site.com/news to press.site.com and everything /press/ to press.site.com. After I do this, I want to redirect all old links to the new subdomain links. I tried several methods but I wasn't very successful.

Any help will be greatful!

in the code I posted I didn't try..it's just the original code...I did have some attempts based on some suggestions I had but with no success. It's worth mentioning that I'm in my learning stage now and I would definitely love some help in this particular case :)

tnx!

If you can give couple of examples of redirect you want to do - it would be better. Both /press and /news to press.site.com is kind of confusing.

A simple rewrite for example.com/press/something to press.example.com/something would be like the one below

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^example\.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^press/(.*)$ http://sub.example.com/$1 [R=301,L]

Believe you are expecting something different mentioning about old urls and new urls for SEO. Examples would illustrate better.

yep, I appoligize:

the homepage, so to speak, is www.site.com/news/  ... i want this press.site.com

All the links from the "news" section are www.site.com/press/press-name.html ...i want this press.site.com/press-name.html

Tnx alot!

that will work for redirecting the old urls to the new ones, but I kinda need the rewrite rule for the subdomain

Now I have this:

RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^news/index([0-9-]+)\.html$ index.php?page=pressrelease_homepage&pn=$1

RewriteRule ^news/$ index.php?page=pressrelease_homepage

RewriteRule ^press/([a-zA-Z0-9-]+)-([0-9-]+)\.html$ index.php?page=pressrelease_page&id=$2

and I need to rewrite the subdomain like this

RewriteRule ^press.site.com/index([0-9-]+)\.html$ index.php?page=pressrelease_homepage&pn=$1

RewriteRule ^press.site.com/$ index.php?page=pressrelease_homepage

RewriteRule ^press.site.com/([a-zA-Z0-9-]+)-([0-9-]+)\.html$ index.php?page=pressrelease_page&id=$2

Evidently, those rewrite rules don't work..so that's why I need some help

Thanks again!

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are expecting, you can target your sub domain like this correct?

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^sub\.example\.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(/)?$ index.php?page=pressrelease_homepage [L]
RewriteRule ^index([0-9-]+)\.html$ index.php?page=pressrelease_homepage&pn=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z0-9-]+)-([0-9-]+)\.html$ index.php?page=pressrelease_page&id=$2 [L]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.