Using JSON to send Notifications

SalientAnimal

Hi All,  :shrug:

So I have been introduced to JSON for the irst time and managed to build a database driven events calendar using JSON. I would like to take this to the next step now, where notifications get sent from the calendar to a list of recipients.

This method of comunication would have to happen in the following ways:

1. E-Mail

2. SMS

3. Updates for each milestone reached in a particular event.

I am thinking that I would probably have to change the structure of my database structure to allow multiple milestone dates, events, etc. But I am not sure if this would be best practice and if anyone could maybe give a better solution?

Thanks...

Your really going to need to describe exactly what your trying to do. Json stands for JavaScript Object Notation. meaning it is specifically designed to transfer objects of data to JavaScript. (though it can be quite obviously more flexible).

What exactly are your clients going to be using to receive this data?

What I currently have in place is a PHP calendar which uses JSON to populate the events from a MySQL database.

So what I am hoping to do is the following:

Create Events In The Calendar (Similar to what one would see in Outlook)

Each Event will have:

A Start Date

A End Date (Milestone)

Event Name

Some Events may not only have the End Date as a Milestone, but could have Milestones, say, two days into the event.

So I would like the Calendar to generate Notifications based on the Milestones of each event. So the should receive a e-mail, sms or both, notify them of the status of a particular event at particular milestones.

All milestones will be defined by a DATETIME field. (I will create multiple DATETIME fields in the database for this).

I'm not sure if this is helps with what I am looking for?

That would have nothing to do with Json.

You would need to setup a cron job to execute hourly or whatever. Have the cron job execute a script that checks your database to see if there are any milestones due, then send whatever notifications are appropriate.

Ok, thanks. Sorry for the possibility of this question seeming dumn. But what is cron?

My searchs show that it runs on Moodle, can I still run the installation even thoguh I have an XAMPP installtions running all the processes?

Cron: http://www.scrounge.org/linux/cron.html

Windows Task Scheduler: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa383614(v=vs.85).aspx

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.