full text search

kwstephenchan

Hi everyone,
I am new to MySql' full text search. I have gone through the tutorial and full text search topics in this forum but found not much specific to my questions here, hope that someone could give me some hints here regarding the following, thanks!

1. the full text index, is it created in advance or the script for creating the full text index is done along with the query script
2. do I need to create full text index on multiple table if I want to search multiple table, and how do I link them together
3. from the forum, someone mentioned that full text search is for English only and not much use for other languages, is that true??

Stephen

1.  You'd have to make the FULLTEXT index cover whatever columns you want to be searched.
2. You'd need one for each table, and join the matches accordingly.
3. The current implementation is designed for normal flowing english text only, and it's rather inflexible.  There are other search options, but not directly within MySQL.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.