Trouble with replacing values from array

Mcod

I am having issues with replacing strings - see example below:

function getname($string) {     
$search = array('0','1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8','9','10','11','12','13','14','15','16','17','18','19','20','21','22');      
$replace = array("a","b","c","d","e","f","g","h","i","j","k","l","m","n","o","p","q","r","s","t","u","v");     
return str_replace($search, $replace, $string); 
}

If I run getname(22); then it returns cc instead of v, meaning it replaces the 22 with two times the 2

Your help would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Thank you for your reply. The reason why I need to do this is because I had a script coded and there are category numbers which I want to replace with words. There are 40 categories, so I looked up some ways to solve this, but as you can see, it causes more pain than it does good :)

Any recommendation how to solve this with a similar function that actually works?

Thanks

For me it's simple, I have a value like 22 and to me it's clear that "22" means "Cars" and "2" means "Business". So what I get from my mysql database is the value 22 which means the listing is for the category "Cars" and a result with 2 would be the category "Business". Since I have to print out the category in human-readable form instead of showing "Category: 22" I am looking for a function to convert the number 22 into the word "Cars" - right now (as you know) it would echo BusinessBusiness which is not what I want :)

... How on earth does 22 == cars and 2 = business? you said 22 = v

How many categories are there? You should have a table which has each category and it has an ID, which it SOUNDS like you sort of already have - and then store the category id with each product, and join the tables.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.