i think i'm computer-illiterate

Jocka

All these years I thought I knew it all and now I set here dumbfounded. I have a pretty old computer but didn't think anything of it. I went and bought a router and wireless desktop card today. Router works perfect but the card won't fit into my computer. When it comes to PCI, I usually stop whatever it is I'm doing and walk off but I really need this to get done.

Ok heres the issue. I bought this card and its 32 bit, end looks like this:
[img]http://www.designed4u.be/images/artikels/NETGIU1241.jpg[/img]
^***NOTE THE 2 EMPTY AREAS

But my Pci slot is more like this:
[img]http://www.umeu.de/web/contentframe/images_drivers/ACEEX-isdn-pci.gif[/img]
^***NOTE THE SMALL EMPTY AREA TOWARDS THE BACK

I've done all types of searches and can't come up with any wireless cards like the one I need. I can't figure out where I would begin to fix this issue. For now I'll probably just go buy a long (very long) ethernet cable but I'd HIGHLY prefer to get this fixed for wireless.
HELP ME PLEASE!.. ..

Are  you sure that's a 32 bit wireless router card? usually pci cards with 3 keys are 64 bit.  If your card key span is longer than your pci slot then I am pretty sure you are mistaken and that's a 64 bit card.

But if it's the same length, and you are sure it's a 32 bit card, then it should be compatable. Your 2 key pci slot type is certainly 32 bit.  Have you actually tried to put it in or did you just figure it had 3 keys vs. your 2 keyed pci slot? The only reason why it would not physically go in even when it is the same length is if it's a different voltage type, because there's like 2 voltage types. like 3.3 and 5 volt and they are physically notched different so that you can't accidentally put one into the other.

Yea I tried to put it in since it was the same length but it wouldn't fit. I'm not sure what my PCI card/port/whatever is but the card i got was a 32 bit.. only reason I know is cuz it said it on the box lol.
I bought a USB adapter instead. It works but I have to say, it's kind of slow. It's somewhere between regular cable/dsl and dialup. Which isn't good but isn't bad either. My download speed is amazing but for some reason it takes a couple of seconds to load any websites. For example, for this page alone, it took 5 seconds to load everything.

Just remember that with a laptop their internal cards arent very powerful.  They work best within roughly 300ft.

Sure the accesspoint can dish out the sending signal, and your laptop can see it, but is the laptop's card strong enough to send the signal back ? 

Sorry I work for a WiFi Manufacturer and I love it when people wonder why they can see their Access Point that is like 500 feet away, but they can't surf the web because the sending power of the laptop isnt nearly enough...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.