Best Api Practice

monkeypaw201

Hello,

I am in the processing of building out an API for a web service and ran into some debates (surprise, surprise...) about the best way for API parameters to be passed.

Option 1:

domain/service/method/key=value&key2=value2

Option 2:

domain/service/method/key/value/key2/value

Option 3:

domain/service/method?key=value&key2=value2

Option 4:

domain/service/method/key=value/key=value

I know it may seem petty, but I'd like the community's feedback (including if its none of the above and something else!)

Thanks!

Edited by monkeypaw201

1 and 3 are virtually identical, as are 2 and 4.

As a developer I don't want to have to force key/value pairs into some custom URL structure. I want to write code like

$data = array(
   "key" => "value",
   "key2" => "value2"
);
$url = "http colon slash slash www.example.com/service/method?" . http_build_query($data);

(or cURL if I have to POST stuff). In other words, conform to existing standards and use existing functions and methodologies.

URL rewriting is primarily for users so they can see a pretty and memorable address in their browser and in the links they click. That does not apply to an API.

Edited by requinix

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.