2 Querys, 1 While Loop, Possible?

Angeleyezz

I'm trying to put 2 seperate querys that are related in the same while loop output, is this even possible or am i just not doing it right.

// Query & assign to the $client_information table.
$get_last_transaction = "SELECT * FROM expense_fuel ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 1" or die (mysql_error());
$transaction = mysql_query($get_last_transaction) or die (mysql_error());

// Get fuel type name from the fuel code
$get_fuel_name = "SELECT * FROM expense_categories WHERE $fuel_code = type";
$fuel_name_result = mysql_query($get_fuel_name) or die (mysql_error());

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($transaction))
{
?>

I should have posted all of the code, the $fuel_code is carried over from the form and defined already. The type is the relational point between both tables. its defined by a code from the form, then i need to match the code to the other table and grab the type name itself from the list.

expense_categories has type

expense_fuel has fuel_code

the fuel_code is carried over from the form, i need to match the code to the expense_categories table and print the type name basically

<?php
$con = mysql_connect("localhost","root","");
if (!$con)
 {
 die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
 }

// Load Header Include  
include('includes/header.php');

// Grab elements from previous form (expendeture_add_fuel.php
$fuel_code = $_POST['fuel_code'];
$fuel_amount = $_POST['fuel_amount'];
$fuel_month = $_POST['fuel_month'];
$fuel_day = $_POST['fuel_day'];
$fuel_year = $_POST['fuel_year'];

// Select the Operations Data-Base
mysql_select_db("terra_elegante_operations", $con);

// Insert the form data into the DB data table
$sql="INSERT INTO expense_fuel (fuel_code, amount, month, day, year)
VALUES
('$fuel_code', '$fuel_amount', '$fuel_month', '$fuel_day', '$fuel_year')";

if (!mysql_query($sql,$con))
 {
 die('Error: ' . mysql_error());
 }

$get_last_transaction = "SELECT * FROM expense_fuel ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 1" or die (mysql_error());
$transaction = mysql_query($get_last_transaction) or die (mysql_error());

$get_fuel_name = "SELECT * FROM expense_categories WHERE $fuel_code = type";
$fuel_name_result = mysql_query($get_fuel_name) or die (mysql_error());

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($transaction))
{
?>
<br />
<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" width="100%">
 <tr>
   <td align="center"><font face="verdana" size="3" color="#000000"><b>1 RECORD ADDED</b></font></td>
 </tr>
</table>
<br />
<table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" width="100%" bordercolor="#000000">
 <tr bgcolor="#333333" align="center">
   <td width="20%"><font face="verdana" size="2" color="#FFFFFF">TRANSACTION ID</font></td>
   <td width="20%"><font face="verdana" size="2" color="#FFFFFF">CODE</font></td>
   <td width="20%"><font face="verdana" size="2" color="#FFFFFF">TYPE</font></td>
   <td width="20%"><font face="verdana" size="2" color="#FFFFFF">AMOUNT</font></td>
   <td width="20%"><font face="verdana" size="2" color="#FFFFFF">DATE</font></td>
 </tr>
 <tr>
   <td><font face="verdana" size="1" color="#000000"><?php echo $row['id']; ?></font></td>
   <td><font face="verdana" size="1" color="#000000"><?php echo $row['fuel_code']; ?></font></td>
   <td><font face="verdana" size="1" color="#000000"><?php echo $row['type']; ?></font></td>
   <td><font face="verdana" size="1" color="#000000">$<?php echo $row['amount']; ?></font></td>
   <td><font face="verdana" size="1" color="#000000"><?php echo $row['month']; ?>-<?php echo $row['day']; ?>-<?php echo $row['year']; ?></font></td>
 </tr>
</table>

<br />
<font face="verdana" size="2"><b><a class="bubble_nav" href="index.php">RETURN HOME</a> | <a class="bubble_nav" href="expendeture_add_expense.php">ADD ANOTHER EXPENSE</a></b></font>

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

<?php
}

include('includes/footer.php');

?>

this is where i'm at so far.

It sounds like the join you need is

SELECT f.amount, f.month, f.day, f.year, c.fuel_name
FROM expense_fuel f
INNER JOIN expense_categories c ON f.fuel_code = c.type

A note on your insert queries - numeric values such as fuel_amount should not be quoted.

Also, store your dates as DATE type columns (YYYY-MM-DD) and not separate day, month, year columns.

im looking at the join that barand gave me, trying to make it work, i think hes onto the right path, but im having some trouble implamenting it. kinda rusty with php i havnt messed with it since december when i first built this program, now im trying to add a few things to it =( should have kept going back then when i was more into the knowledge of it lol

Well if you'd answer the questions I've asked, we could help you more.

Show the table structure, show the data, show what you want it to look like.

Barand and I can continue guessing randomly all day, or you can actually show us the problem you're asking us to solve.

Ok, I have 2 tables,

Table 1 - expense_fuel

fields = id, fuel_code, amount, month, day, year

Table 2 - expense_categories

fields = id, type

the form on the page you select the type, and it adds the code to the expense_fuel table, now what i need to do is refrence the expense_categories table to the expense_fuel table and grab the name of the fuel type from the code that was assigned from the form.

yes its assigned and defined once in the expense_categories table, its acting as kinda a sku table of contents for all expenses, the code is inserted into the expense_fuel table already from the form. now i just need to refrence the code number and pull the name of it from the row fo the expense_category. so i can show it on my output

Edited by Angeleyezz

actually this might be easier if i just did 2 completely seperate querys on this, and assigned each row a variable then just wrote the output without a while loop. for this im only pulling 1 record, witch is the last one entered. you think that would work a bit better in this case?

Well if you'd answer the questions I've asked, we could help you more.

Show the table structure, show the data, show what you want it to look like.

Barand and I can continue guessing randomly all day, or you can actually show us the problem you're asking us to solve.

If they're the same, you can JOIN the tables:

SELECT * 
FROM expense_fuel
JOIN expense_categories ON expense_fuel.fuel_code = expense_categories.id
WHERE fuel_code = '{$type}'

You're still vulnerable to SQL Injection

Edited by ManiacDan

I figured it out

i just ran 2 seperate querys, assigned the result sets to their own row variables. then echoed a mix of both tables on the output.

<?php
$con = mysql_connect("localhost","root","");
if (!$con)
 {
 die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
 }

// Load Header Include  
include('includes/header.php');

// Grab elements from previous form (expendeture_add_fuel.php)
$fuel_code = $_POST['fuel_code'];
$fuel_amount = $_POST['fuel_amount'];
$fuel_month = $_POST['fuel_month'];
$fuel_day = $_POST['fuel_day'];
$fuel_year = $_POST['fuel_year'];

// Select the Operations Data-Base
mysql_select_db("terra_elegante_operations", $con);

// Insert the form data into the DB data table
$sql="INSERT INTO expense_fuel (fuel_code, amount, month, day, year)
VALUES
('$fuel_code', '$fuel_amount', '$fuel_month', '$fuel_day', '$fuel_year')";

if (!mysql_query($sql,$con))
 {
 die('Error: ' . mysql_error());
 }

$get_last_transaction = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM expense_fuel ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 1");
$row = mysql_fetch_array($get_last_transaction);
$id = $row['id'];
$code = $row['fuel_code'];
$amount = $row['amount'];
$month = $row['month'];
$day = $row['day'];
$year = $row['year'];

$get_fuel_name = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM expense_categories WHERE $fuel_code = id");
$row = mysql_fetch_array($get_fuel_name) or die (mysql_error());
$fuel_type = $row['type'];
?>
<br />
<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" width="100%">
 <tr>
   <td align="center"><font face="verdana" size="3" color="#000000"><b>1 RECORD ADDED</b></font></td>
 </tr>
</table>
<br />
<table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" width="100%" bordercolor="#000000">
 <tr bgcolor="#333333" align="center">
   <td width="20%"><font face="verdana" size="2" color="#FFFFFF">TRANSACTION ID</font></td>
   <td width="20%"><font face="verdana" size="2" color="#FFFFFF">CODE</font></td>
   <td width="20%"><font face="verdana" size="2" color="#FFFFFF">TYPE</font></td>
   <td width="20%"><font face="verdana" size="2" color="#FFFFFF">AMOUNT</font></td>
   <td width="20%"><font face="verdana" size="2" color="#FFFFFF">DATE</font></td>
 </tr>
 <tr>
   <td><font face="verdana" size="1" color="#000000"><?php echo $id; ?></font></td>
   <td><font face="verdana" size="1" color="#000000"><?php echo $code; ?></font></td>
   <td><font face="verdana" size="1" color="#000000"><?php echo $fuel_type; ?></font></td>
   <td><font face="verdana" size="1" color="#000000">$<?php echo $amount; ?></font></td>
   <td><font face="verdana" size="1" color="#000000"><?php echo $month; ?>-<?php echo $day; ?>-<?php echo $year; ?></font></td>
 </tr>
</table>

<br />
<font face="verdana" size="2"><b><a class="bubble_nav" href="index.php">RETURN HOME</a> | <a class="bubble_nav" href="expendeture_add_expense.php">ADD ANOTHER EXPENSE</a></b></font>

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

<?php

include('includes/footer.php');

?>

its not that i was dis reguarding it, i just am not that knowlegable about what you were trying to show me, i really didnt understand it at all. im still pretty new and rusty at php, and im trying to learn as i go along. i do really appreciate the help you guys have tried to give me, i just dont understand how you were trying to do it at all. and i posted what i did to show you what i was trying to do and how i made it work. now you can see what i was trying to achieve and if how you were trying to show me could be the same way, awsome im still checking out how you were trying to show me.

i wasnt trying to waste anyones time.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.