Php/web Programming Noob/running Executables

QuoVadis

Hi all. First post in these forums. I am an experienced C/C++/Java/C# programmer but have never done any web development. I have a pretty basic question about running executables on a server via php. I gather this is not a good idea, basically. I have some (large-ish) programs written in C that I would like to execute and get the results into a browser. Is there a 'safe' way of doing this? I would really rather not reimplement my programs in php if I can possibly avoid that.

If they are programs that can be invoked via some form of shell you can use one of the exec family of functions.

Otherwise, if they are written in C, you might like to turn them into PHP extensions (though this will be a fair bit more work).

If the executable name or any parameters that will be passed are supplied by the user, then you have potential security issues. You must validate all user supplied data to make sure it is expected and acceptable.

Keep in mind that your hosting provider may put restrictions on you that either prevent running executables, or require them to be in a "safe directory" or limit the CPU or memory resource usage.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.