Query Takes Forever To Run!

dev-ria

hello,

i am running the following query and takes more than 80 seconds to load.

$query = mysql_query("

SELECT artist,title,url,

COUNT(title) AS TitleCount

FROM results

GROUP BY artist

ORDER BY TitleCount DESC

LIMIT 20",$link2);

$query2 = mysql_query("

SELECT artist,title,url

FROM results

GROUP BY artist

LIMIT 88",$link2);

both run separate while statements and there are about 3.5 million data in the mysql db. no indexes, yet. what can i do to speed this up or clean up my query?

thanks

thanks!

so basically these two queries are bringing up results to put into google graphs

http://code.google.c...on#column_chart

using column chart - i display the results in google graphs format. this is the full query that sits in the header of the page in javascript for the google graph

$query2 = mysql_query("
SELECT artist,title,label
FROM results
WHERE domain = '".$_GET['domain']."'
GROUP BY artist
LIMIT 200",$link2) or die (mysql_error());

while ($run2 = mysql_fetch_array($query2))
{
echo "['".$run2['artist']."', '".$run2['title']."', '".$run2['label']."'],";
}

//second graph ---------

$query = mysql_query("
SELECT artist,title,url,
COUNT(title) AS TitleCount
FROM results
GROUP BY artist
ORDER BY TitleCount DESC
LIMIT 20",$link2);.

while($run = mysql_fetch_array($query))
{
echo "['".$run['artist']."', ".$run['TitleCount']."],";
}

so far indexing has helped but im still looking to cut the time to about 3-5 seconds

here is EXPLAIN of the two queries

1, SIMPLE, results, ref, domain_index, domain_index, 258, const, 1, Using where; Using temporary; Using filesort

next one

1, SIMPLE, results, ref, domain_index, domain_index, 258, const, 1, Using where; Using temporary; Using filesort

interestingly enough seems that you "forgot" to mention in every single previous post that your query was using the "domain" column too in the where clause, neither you used that column in the previous EXPLAINS, therefore the EXPLAIN that you are posting now is completely different than before...

take out the GROUP BY in the query2... maybe you intent was to use ORDER BY instead... good luck

yea i realized that i need to use the domain column too. but i have indexed that as well so it should speed things up. so far composite index are artist and title and regular index is domain. i can't see why this shouldn't help speed things up. when I remove the where clause the EXPLAIN key is the artist_title_index.

SELECT artist,title,url,COUNT(title) AS TitleCount
FROM results 
GROUP BY artist
ORDER BY TitleCount DESC
LIMIT 20

SELECT artist,title,url
FROM results 
GROUP BY artist
LIMIT 88
[/Code]

Since there is no WHERE clause, both of those queries need to read the [i]entire[/i] table. A composite index on artist, title, and url; [i]might[/i] prevent a table scan. I have worked with some database servers that will realize that the query is "covered" by the index, and scan only the index. I'm not sure if mySql will do that or not.

[code]
SELECT artist,title,label
FROM results
GROUP BY artist
LIMIT 200

Any given query will use only one index per table. So an index on domain will limit the number of rows to be read. It is not likely that any indexes that do not have domain as the first component will help in this situation.

Your queries filter on artist and title, that's all. The items in the WHERE are what matter.

Just FYI. Fields used in the ON clause of a JOIN matter as well. Since those are usually FOREIGN KEYS, they are usually indexed anyway; but it bears mentioning here.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.