2 Bucle While

ldiaz

Hello all,

I have a problem with a while bucle and an array, here is the code:

I have 2 querys, the result of query 1 is stored into an array and the second query is handled with while.

The problem is the $bib variable have always NULL as value, but it's wrong, ...

$sql="select distinct(biblionumber) from biblioitems where biblionumber in(select biblionumber from issn_master where issn1 in($lista)or issn2 in($lista) or issnL in ($lista))";
$qry = mysql_query($sql);

$sql1="select embargo,fondo,tipo_fondo from stage1 where grupo='".$grupo."' and issn in(select issn1 from issn_master where issn1 in($lista)) or issn in(select issn2 from issn_master where issn2 in($lista));";
$qry1 = mysql_query($sql1);

$data = array();
while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($qry)) {
$data[] = $row[biblionumber]."\n";
}

$bib=implode("\n",$row[biblionumber]);

while($row1 = mysql_fetch_assoc($qry1)) {
$inc++;
$sql_item= "insert into items (biblionumber,biblioitemnumber,itype,enumchron,booksellerid,itemcallnumber,barcode,homebranch,holdingbranch,notforloan,damaged,itemlost,wthdrawn,timestamp)values('".$bib."','".$bib."','".$row1[tipo]."','".$row1[fondo]."','".$row1[embargo]."','".$grupo."-".$inc.$row1['type']."-".$bib."','".$grupo."-".$inc.$row1['type']."-".$bib."','".$grupo."','".$grupo."',0,0,0,0,'".$date."')";

echo $sql_item;

}

If you execute this:

foreach($data as $bib){
echo $bib;
}

Then the result is:

21758 68314

I don't see what is wrong in my code.

The correct result expected is:

insert into items (biblionumber,biblioitemnumber,itype,enumchron,booksellerid,itemcallnumber,barcode,homebranch,holdingbranch,notforloan,damaged,itemlost,wthdrawn,timestamp)values(21758'',21758'',21758'','1996-','','MHUPA-1-21758','MHUPA-1-21758','MHUPA','MHUPA',0,0,0,0,'')insert into items (biblionumber,biblioitemnumber,itype,enumchron,booksellerid,itemcallnumber,barcode,homebranch,holdingbranch,notforloan,damaged,itemlost,wthdrawn,timestamp)values(68314'',68314'','68314','2001-','','MHUPA-2-68314','MHUPA-2-68314','MHUPA','MHUPA',0,0,0,0,'')

Some on can help?

Thanks a lot in advance

Edited by ldiaz

1 - Turn on error reporting. Line 16 ($inc++) should be throwing an error unless you have it defined somewhere else.

2 - Initialize $inc before the while loop: $inc = 0;

3 - Why are you appending a newline onto the biblionumber and then imploding with another newline? That will put two newlines between each number, is this what you want? I would just do the implode with two newlines if that's what you want. Although the way you have it, there will be a newline after the last number, that my suggestion will not include.

4 - The implode is accessing $row, which is not an array at this point, so this line (#13) is throwing an error as well. I think you want $data here. At this point (after line 13), $bib is undefined, so it is useless to put it into a query.

#4 ADDRESSES YOUR PROBLEM STATEMENT

I see a few problems. The biggest is you should NEVER run queries in loops. 99% of the time there is a more efficient way to achive what you need and in the other 1% of cases you are probably doing something you shouldn't be.

So, you have this loop:

while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($qry)) {
$data[] = $row[biblionumber]."\n";
}

And after that you have this line

$bib=implode("\n",$row[biblionumber]); 

It makes no sense to try and implode $row[biblionumber] since it will only contain the value from the last record. I think you meant to implode $data. Even so, why are you imploding data to put into a field in the DB? That's typically a very bad design that is going to create problems for you later on.

I also see references to fields from the 2nd SELECT query in the INSERT query that are not part of the result set (e.g. 'tipo' vs. 'tipo_fondo').

Anyway, using the bad design, you can insert all the record you want in a single query. (Although I highly encourage you to rethink this design!). I would provide the query, but, really, what I see in the code makes no sense. You are inserting $bib (an imploded list) into several fields. Also, the incrementing $inc doesn't have a purpose. I could create a single query, but the $inc makes it a little difficult that it would take more of my time than I am willing to invest.

Edited by Psycho

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.