Html 5: Use It?

TheHappyPeanut

How many of you are making the transition to HTML 5? Browsers are supporting more and more features of HTML 5 as time passes. Quite frankly, I am eager for HTML 5 to become mainstream in terms of development and support as there are many features that can be highly beneficial. The only problem I see is that Internet Explorer (even the newer versions) don't support a lot of HTML 5 features... then again, I say that as if I should expect anything different.

Are you using HTML 5 now? If not, do you plan to begin using it and what are your favorite features? My favorite features are probably the form attributes such as "placeholder" or "email" as they can save a lot of time and effort.

Most of the improvements to forms degrade nicely: type=email being treated as text, placeholders being ignored, that sort of thing. You can fairly easily pick up the slack with some Javascript. And even the existing support for some things are weird, notably type=date, so you'd want your own custom implementation anyways. The semantic improvements are also backwards compatible.

The DOM-related stuff is harder. I wouldn't build sites that relied on that functionality unless you can be fairly sure it's supported (some bits are quite common, and mobile phone browsers are typically even better at supporting some of the cooler things). Despite all the cool stuff I still see Javascript and many HTML 5 features as tools to improve a website, not to build a foundation upon.

I agree with requinix, the form stuff is basically all I've been using.  

HTML5 is nice, but it's going to be 10 years before we can rely on it.  Javascript works for most of what HTML5 was supposed to do, and (like requinix said) neither are a site's foundation.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.