False Directory To Hide .php Extention In Url - Ex: .com/blah/ Not .com/blah.php

wait

I've searched google for this and I'm not 100% sure if this is even a .php related request but... I'm attempting to create (for lack of better description) "false directories" that prevent the .php extention from displaying in specific URLs.

I'm creating user profiles for my site and rather than display:

.com/u/username.php

I would like to display:

.com/u/username

I have a feeling this might be server related. Shot in the dark. Hope someone can shead some light on this for me.

Thanks as always!

Well, I'm open for suggestions. I have a directory called

/u/

and would like the username or profile page not to have a .php extension. I would like to handle this in the most efficient way. Just don't know how to go about it. I read this can be handled in .htaccess but if there is a better way.... I'm open.

- Stupid question (avatar) Got it.

Edited by wait

This is now how this is typically done:

Ideally you would have one page. say, user.php

you would link to that page with a variable, like site.com/user.php?id=135 or site.com/user.php?u=wait

you would then use $_GET['id'] and query a database for that members info.

whichever way, you'll still need mod rewrite to do what you want

Edited by play_

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.