Sending Form Mail With Smtp And Using Gmail For Email

happypete

Hi,

I have a website with a domain name (yourdomain.com) and a contact form on this site that sends out the contact form detail via email using an email address I set up in my hosting account (smtp@yourdomain.com) with the SMTP PHPMailer, it works fine.

If I want to use info@mydomain.com with google apps for business emails, can I do both at once? I've read about needing to change the MX records if I want to use my domain name with gmail, but don't know if I change the MX record if the smpt@mydomain.com email will still work properly with my form, and if I can use both at once?

The SMTP script I'm using: http://phpmailer.wor...pg=exampleasmtp

Thank in advance

Edited by happypete

I want to use gmail rather than the webmail that comes with my hosting to keep my personal gmail email in the same place as my website email so I dont have to sign into 2 different accounts?

So can I use SMTP to send via email using smtp:mydomain.com via my server AND use a gmail account or do I have to chnage the MX records and will then have problems with the smtp:mydomain.com going via my server?

you shouldn't need to do anything with the MX records. when using the SMTP protocall you will need to validate the account against the gmail servers and route the mail through them, thus the sending MX record will reflect the google servers. You can, however, save much headache by simply adding the domain email address to your gmail account using the gmail Mail Fetcher as explained here and have access to all the mails from both accounts via your gmail account.

Edt: clarified wording

Edited by Muddy_Funster

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.