Routing subdomain to subfolder

lucashermsen

Dear forum members,

My hoster redirects all traffic to subdomain.domain.com to domain.com/subdomain. Since I work with CodeIgniter, I would like it to route it to domain.com/applications/subdomain. Therefore, I have written an htaccess in the root folder:

RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule ^subdomain(.*)$ /applications/subdomain.php/$1 [L]

However, this gives an internal server error (500).

Does anybody have a clue how I can best do this?

Best regards

Lucas

1. Are you sure they're actually redirecting traffic to that location and not, say, setting the document root of the subdomain to be a subfolder under wherever the domain.com files are kept? (eg, /home/lucashermsen/domain.com/subdomain)

2. Do you have mod_rewrite installed? Just checking.

3. What does Apache's error log say about the 500 error?

Edited by requinix

If you don't mind people actually being redirected to domain.com/application/subdomain.php then you can do that: create a .htaccess in the domain.com/subdomain folder with

Redirect permanent / http://www.domain.com/application/subdomain.php

Otherwise if the URL has to still show the subdomain then in that same .htaccess try

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^ /full/path/to/domain.com/application/subdomain.php%{REQUEST_URI} [L]
# if that doesn't work then try without the ${REQUEST_URI}

...and if that doesn't work either then I'm not sure. I don't think [PT] will help because the target isn't a URL, can't use Alias in a .htaccess... Might have to find some way to force the PATH_INFO variable.

[edit] All this assumes that CI won't muck around with the URL, like change the hostname or automatically include "/application/subdomain.php" or something equally fatal.

Edited by requinix

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.