postcode validation (was Email validation)

caroline_162

Hello, this is my current code, take from the form validation part of my code. ATM it just checks if the email is valid. I was wondering if anyone could advise me how to make it so that it allows a email address not to be entered. but still validate anything that is entered. so it becomes an optional item on my form.

Thanks

if (!preg_match("/^[a-z]{1,2}[0-9]{1,2} [0-9]{1,2}[a-z]{1,2}$/i", $address_postcode)) {
print "Postcode needs to be in Se24 8IO Format ";

First of all I recommend using the filter_var () function, with the VALIDATE_EMAIL flag, to validate the e-mail address.

As for the conditional filtering, this is the perfect time to leverage the short-circuiting of the operators in PHP:

if (!empty ($address_postcode) && !filter_var ($address_postcode, VALIDATE_EMAIL)) {
   // Non-empty and failed validation.
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.