CSV import - too slow

budimir

Guys,

I'm using this code to import aorund 130.000 rows from CSV file. Code is working fine, but it's really slow. Do you have any ideas how to make it faster?

I appreciate all the help I can get!

//Upload File
if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {

if (is_uploaded_file($_FILES['filename']['tmp_name'])) {

echo "<h1>" . "Dokument ". $_FILES['filename']['name'] ." uspješno uvezen." . "</h1>";
echo "<h2>Prikaz sadržaja:</h2>";

readfile($_FILES['filename']['tmp_name']);
}

//Import uploaded file to Database
$handle = fopen($_FILES['filename']['tmp_name'], "r");

while (($data = fgetcsv($handle, 1000000, ";")) !== FALSE) {

$import="INSERT INTO kalkulacija_import_cjenik_stavke (id_cjenika,vrijeme,kataloski_broj,cijena_EUR) VALUES ('$id_cjenika','$vrijeme','$data[0]','$data[1]')";
mysql_query($import) or die(mysql_error());

}

fclose($handle);

print "Import završen!";

//view upload form

} else {

}
header("Location:import_hq_cjenik.php");
exit;

I think this is what kicken suggested with the multi-row insert query: if you concatenate each new IMPORT to the end of the old one, in a big string with the appropriate seperators, then pass that to the mysql_query function. Could limit it to say 50 imports at a time or 100.. So have a counter that keeps track of how many IMPORTS you've added, then fire off the mysql_query function which the counter reaches 50, reset the string to nothing, and loop again.

$importString = ''; //empty string
$count = 0;
while(($data = fgetcsv($handle, 1000000, ";")) !== FALSE){
$importString .= "IMPORT etc";
$importString .= ","; //comma to separate between IMPORT lines
$count++;

if($count == 50){
mysql_query($importString, $databaseConnection) or die();
$importString = ''; //empty string again
$count = 0; //reset counter
}
}

I probably have the separator wrong, I always seem to mess that kinda thing up, but you get the general idea of what I thought you could do, and also what I think kicken is getting at, hopefully..

Hope that helps

Denno

Thanks guys!!! You helped me a lot.

I used the DELAYED option for now, although I will change soon as I see that option will be depriciated with new version of MySQL. But I have to finish the app now.

Denno, you're solution will be used next.

This is the best forum I have ever used! :happy-04: And you guys are the greatest!!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.