sum of two row from 2 different table(is this correct)

Taku

greetings! is this correct?

<?php
$input = mysql_real_escape_string($POST['select'])
$sql = "
SELECT
(
SELECT (quantity)
FROM test_req_concepcion
WHERE id = 1
) AS totalcafe,
(
SELECT (quantity)
FROM test_noval
WHERE id = 1
) AS totalcafe1";
$qry = mysql_query($sql);
$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($qry);

echo $row['totalcafe'] + $row['totalcafe1'];
?>

Edited by Taku

Hmm . . . , that's not making sense to me. You have a POST variable called 'select' which I would think is used to select the appropriate records in your query. But, there is nothing in the query to filter the records. So, you would be selecting ALL the records from both tables. And, I doubt that query would run anyway. And, you know, it takes 2 seconds to drop a query into your database admin panel to test. Why would you take the trouble of asking "does this work" rather than testing it? Of course, if what you think might work doesn't then absolutely post here for help. But, when you simply ask "will this work" it appears you are just being lazy.

Please provide some more information as to what is in the tables and what you need to get.

oh sorry about that.. well try to ignore the select above for now..

also I did try to test this and it gave me the result I wanted wherein the 1st row of table A is added to the 1st row of table B...

but what I wanted to do is to add all the row from table A and B like this...

a b

1 2

4 5

... ...

. .

wherein it will add 1 and 2 then 4 and 5

like this

c

I am really new at php and I don't know how to do this.. unless like that one by one...

Edited by Taku

If ALL ids exist in both tables then you can do the following to get the quantity totals for each ID from both tables in a single query as follows:

SELECT t1.id, totalCafe1, totalCafe2, totalCafe1 + totalCafe2 as totalCafe
FROM
(
SELECT id, SUM(quantity) AS totalCafe1
FROM test_req_concepcion
GROUP BY id
) t1
JOIN
(
SELECT id, SUM(quantity) AS totalCafe2
FROM test_noval
GROUP BY id
) t2
USING (id)

That will provide a result with columns for: the ID, the total from the first table, the total from the second table, and the total from both tables.

But, if either table may have an id that is not in the other table, those records won't be returned. If one table will absolutely have all the IDs and only the other table may be missing some IDs then that can be resolved by doing a LEFT/RIGHT join as needed. But, if both tables may be missing an ID that is in the other it gets a little more complicated. I'm not willing to do any more until you have clarified

sorry for disturbing again... I did try to do this.. and it seems not working `.` can someone explain what did I do wrong and how to fix this? :B tnx so much

$sql = "
      SELECT t1.id, t1.quantity, t2.quantity, t3.quantity, t4.quantity (t1.quantity+t2.quantity+t3.quantity+t4.quantity) as total
   FROM t1
       INNER JOIN t2
       ON t2.id = t1.id
INNER JOIN t3
ON t3.id = t2.id
INNER JOIN t4
ON t4.id = t3.id
   $qry = mysql_query($sql);
   while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($qry))
{

echo $row['total']. '<br/>';
}

You never really provided an adequate explanation of your table structure - I thought you needed a GROUP BY. But, if every ID exists in all tables AND there is one record for each ID then use this:

SELECT t1.id, t1.quantity AS qty1, t2.quantity AS qty2, t3.quantity AS qty3, t4.quantity AS qty4,
   (t1.quantity + t2.quantity + t3.quantity + t4.quantity) as total
FROM table1 AS t1
INNER JOIN table2 AS t2
 ON t2.id = t1.id
INNER JOIN table3 AS t3
 ON t3.id = t1.id
INNER JOIN table4 AS t4
 ON t4.id = t1.id

Edited by Psycho

ohhh tnx psycho, I think I got now the idea.. and if I want to subtract something I will add subtraction in the end? like this?

SELECT t1.id, t1.quantity AS qty1, t2.quantity AS qty2, t3.quantity AS qty3, t4.quantity AS qty4, t5.quantity AS qty5
          (t1.quantity + t2.quantity + t3.quantity + t4.quantity - t5.quantity) as total
FROM table1 AS t1
INNER JOIN table2 AS t2
 ON t2.id = t1.id
INNER JOIN table3 AS t3
 ON t3.id = t1.id
INNER JOIN table4 AS t4
 ON t4.id = t1.id
INNER JOIN table5 AS t5
 ON t5.id = t1.id

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.