Long nested SELECT statement

dbewick123

Ok, I am trying to do some camparisons in my tables and return results based on weather values match... i'll post the code then explain it, I think it will be easier that way

/* the below method works and returns all the desired tags */

$tags = mysql_query("SELECT `tag1`, `tag2`, `tag3`, `tag4`, `tag5` FROM `books` WHERE `book_id` IN (SELECT `book_id` FROM `userBooks` WHERE `user_id` = '$sessionUserId')");

/* this is the method i am struggling with, I am trying to SELECT the book info (auther etc.) from the books table WHERE the $tags (from previous query, match any tags of other books in the `books` table. */

$recommended =mysql_query("SELECT `auther`, `title`, `isbn` FROM `books`  
WHERE `$tags` = (SELECT `tag1`, `tag2`, `tag3`, `tag4`, `tag5` from `books` WHERE  `book_id` NOT IN (SELECT `book_id` FROM `userBooks` WHERE `user_id` = '$sessionUserId'))");

the way i interpret this query is that it will SELECT the `auther` `title` etc. from the books table where the $tags = the tags in the `books` table WHERE book_id is not already in the `userBooks` table against that `user_id` - this obviously isnt happending because nothing is being returned.

Please can someone help/advise me with this?

Thanks 

Dbewick123

Correctly normalize those tags into another table then come back and we can help you.

I've been reading up on normalizing databases and 1NF, 2NF and 3NF to a point where im fairly sure i understand it, however i'm unclear as to what you are telling me to do.... are you saying that i should put these tags into a seperate database table with the specific user id as a primary key :/ ?? 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.